Author Topic: DWYER birth 1802?, McCARTHY/CARTHY birth 1804?  (Read 948 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
DWYER birth 1802?, McCARTHY/CARTHY birth 1804?
« on: Friday 29 April 16 08:21 BST (UK) »
My 3g grandparents were married in Tipperary parish 1 November, 1835 (from NLI images)  They emigrated to Victoria, Australia in 1841.  I have good documentation for them in Australia which consistently list their ages to fit with the above birthdates.

Michael DWYER, died 1884 aged 82 (thus b abt 1802),
place of birth (and marriage): Tipperary, Ireland
parents: John DWYER, farmer and Mary DWYER, formerly RYAN

Ellen/Ellenore DWYER, nee McCARTHY, d 1905 aged 101 (b abt 1804)
place of birth (and marriage) Greenane, Co Tipperary, Ireland
parents: Calawan McCARTHY, farmer and Honora McCARTHY, formerly RYAN
Ellen's maiden name is given as "CARTHY" in the records of baptism of her 3 eldest boys in Tipperary.

As Ellen was still alive and well when Michael died it seems likely that the information given on his death certificate is correct.

The only documents that give different ages are the shipping lists which show that Michael's birthdate would be 1810 and Ellen's 1812.  My DWYERs were bounty (assisted) immigrants so their fares were paid.  Bounty immigrants often tweaked their ages and/or occupations a bit so that immigration requirements were met.  I suspect that is what may well have happened here.  I have looked through the NLI images for baptisms in Tipperary parish in 1810/1811/1812 but could not see either of them.

Any help in locating any early information about their baptisms or their parents would be wonderful.

Apologies for knowing very little about Irish genealogy.  Was there a church at Greenane? I note that the NLI images are for Tipperary parish so would their marriage and children's baptisms (which I have) have been in the town church?

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DWYER birth 1802?, McCARTHY/CARTHY birth 1804?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 April 16 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Greenane is in between Borrisoleigh and Upperchurch.
I have been looking at the Church books and the records are after 1814.
This list below is a list of the town lands from the Tithe records.
I don't know if they are the same person but this is where you would look.
I will be over in Borrisoleigh in June and I will go to Greenane and have a look around the area for you.
I know it's sore on the eyes these records but they do have the same records in Ancestry with a copy of the original docs. Your people are just a little bit too early sorry. Some of mine are as well.
Calawan McCarthy ? I can only find a Callaghan McCarthy is this he?
Mccarthy Callaghan Liscinisca Clonmel Tipperary 1824
Let me know and I will dig a bit more.
Maggsie

Dwyer John Ballinamogh and Ballinrez   Tipperary   Tipperary   1828
Dwyer John Bohercrowe   Tipperary   Tipperary   1828
Dwyer John Tipperary   Tipperary   Tipperary   1828
Dwyer John Bohererowe   Tipperary   Tipperary   1828
Dwyer John Pipperany Roe and Penson   Tipperary   Tipperary   1828
Dwyer John Ballinamoght and Ballinoce   Tipperary   Tipperary   1828

Offline merrick7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 April 16 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Girls
No that is the wrong Greenane . It is just about 2 miles north east of Tipperary town , just right off the road to Dundrum . https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.4973319,-8.1258674,17z on Google maps .
   There is a lovely old graveyard there and the site of an old church . Of course Ryan and O Dwyer are the most common name in this part of Tipp .

P J

Offline merrick7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 April 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Greenane is in the civil parish of Temlenoe  when you are searching Griffiths . There are no McCarthy's in the Townland of Greenane in 1851. It is in the Catholic parish of Tipperary when searching the baptismal records .

http://www.irelandgenweb.com/irltip/CivilParishes/TemplenoeCP.htm

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation Greenane is in Tipperary South Riding , the Barony of Clanwilliam and the Union of Tipperary.

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/pagestab/Tipperary/Templenoe

The area is known locally as Greenane so he may not have been from that exact townland

P J

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 16 01:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Maggsie and merrick7.  Yes, it's the Greenane about 2 miles from Tipperary.

Will have a look at the links you have given, merrick7.  I did find a baptism in the Tpperary parish records with father listed as "Owen CARTHY" and thought there might be a connection but the mother was not Honora nee HILL, and the child was not Ellen, so I din't record it.

Griffith's valuation shows these for Templenoe - all with Patrick Waldron, Esq as the "Immediate Lessor".  I think this valuation is dated 1851
Map #12   John DWYER, land
Map #13A, 13B, 13C   Eliza CARTHY, land (13C land and house)

Of course Ryan and O Dwyer are the most common name in this part of Tipp .  Of course - just my luck.  ::)

I don't have Ancestry for Ireland so will to wait till I can get to the library for access.

Thanks again, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk