Author Topic: Children's Home, Woodside Crescent, Craigie, Perth (1960's)  (Read 3500 times)

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Children's Home, Woodside Crescent, Craigie, Perth (1960's)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

Could the one at 36 Woodside crescent have been a temporary foster home.
Woodside crescent is in the middle of a housing scheme in Craig's it is a crescent of semi detached houses you can see it o. Street view.

Sleeve use to belong to Norris Millar.
Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 10:50 BST (UK) »
Yes Bruce.......

I believe so, not a full-time home & was a place which took in kids temporarily in cases like my original post where a mother was in hospital, father working full-time & no family to take care of the children but it was only for short periods of time & voluntary rather than being a choice made by social workers although run by the Social Works Dept. I believe?

I have seen it on google maps but not sure if it is still runs in the same manner?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

As it was a voluntary place, your g/mother probably couldn't cope in her grief & maybe rather than split the kids up between family, wanted them to be together which would be understandable?

Seems the one in Craigie only took kids up to the age of around 5-10 yrs? & older kids were taken in at Dunning but only for short periods.......not sure how long a "short period" was  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 04:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you all - The only thing I can add to that is that my mother was about 3 or 4 years old, as they reached the age of 15 they were sent to their mother in Windsor, Berkshire, England...my mother being the last..she remembered being sick on the train going down to England as she had never been on a train in her life !! she also remembers a Miss Rennie who was very kind to her when the other sisters had left.  May try SP and see if I can find anything there.....all so confusing.
Thank you...Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Sleeve children's home in Perth was if you come into Perth from Broxden on the Glasgow road cross the roundabout at the services sleeve was on the hill on the left-hand side before you reach the first mini  roundabout

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 May 16 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Sleeve children's home in Perth was if you come into Perth from Broxden on the Glasgow road cross the roundabout at the services sleeve was on the hill on the left-hand side before you reach the first mini  roundabout

Yours Aye
BruceL

Bruce is that no Cleeve at Oakbank instead of Sleeve.
There is a Cleeve Park off Cleeve Drive
Did it no use to be a caravan park and has now been turned into houses.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 May 16 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Buckhyne
As my previous post yes it's cleeve predictive text.
You can still see part of the walled garden on the side of the hill building contractors are now in at the bottom of the hill
Yours Aye
BruceL