Author Topic: What happened to poor Elizabeth Foxton Living In Whitby Born 1867 in Stokesley  (Read 5615 times)

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm back on the trail of my Foxton clan....

Elizabeth Foxton born Stokesley 1867
Father William Foxton 1823
Mother Elizabeth Carruthers? 1833 - 1884

In 1871 Elizabeth is with family in 1881 she is in a Industrial school for girls at 28 Monk Gate parish York St Maurice.

In 1879 she was arrested for begging where it's stated that she was encouraged to do so by her parents, a couple weeks previous to this her brother was arrested for indecently assaulting her  :-[ After these incidents she was sent to the school in a newspaper article it states she was to be held there for four years.

After the 1881 census i can't seem to locate a good possible anything for her i know she never went back to live with her father and her mother died in 1884, she doesn't appear to be with any of her siblings either. In 1881 she is down as 13 so by the time she left the school if she stayed the full 4 years  i'd think she would be around 17/18.

I've really struggled with this family but i really want to know what happened to Elizabeth especially after the bad start she had.
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to poor Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 April 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
What a sad story...Have you considered this marriage:

Name:  Elizabeth Foxton
Marriage:  Jan 1883  - Pickering, Yorkshire North Riding

Spouse is either:

Charles Harrison or
Henry Pickering.

An online tree suggests that her Mother died in Scotland have you looked for her there?

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 April 16 15:11 BST (UK) »
I have my tree online but its private, and i know she died in Whitby as its covered  in the newspaper and also i got the death cert from another distant relative who research's the family. Her mother has been a hard one to follow as her name appears Carruthers on birth certs but we can't find no marriage to William and we also can't seem to locate a definite Elizabeth in Scotland.
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 April 16 15:21 BST (UK) »
Oh it is a hard one isn't it...have you tried looking for Elizabeth b. 1867 in Stokesley on censuses without a surname? she could have changed her name to protect her identity due to her unfortunate background.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 April 16 15:25 BST (UK) »
I have tried that i also tried using Whitby as birth place also but no luck! There is a death in Sheffield for a Elizabeth Foxton born 1867 death 1892 that's the only death i've seen that match's her birth year but i would of thought i could of spotted her on the 1891 census somewhere is that was her.
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 April 16 15:29 BST (UK) »
Passenger lists could be an option...or first name Eliza? I don't know what else to suggest but given her past...I would expect her to be somewhere near where she went to school in 1881.

Carol

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 April 16 15:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol i might try Scotland i know her older brother ended up there and possibly one of her sister's. I thought she might have turned up in the paper again but i haven't spotted anything there either i'll keep hoping she pops up!  :)
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 April 16 16:16 BST (UK) »
Lisa you might want to put her full name and place of birth in the title of your post...you can't be the only one looking for her...someone may just google it and join you here.
Carol

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 April 16 16:42 BST (UK) »

Name:  Elizabeth Foxton
Marriage:  Jan 1883  - Pickering, Yorkshire North Riding

Spouse is either:

Charles Harrison or
Henry Pickering.

Has this marriage been ruled out?