Author Topic: What happened to poor Elizabeth Foxton Living In Whitby Born 1867 in Stokesley  (Read 5612 times)

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to poor Elizabeth Foxton Living In Whitby Born 1867 in Stokesley
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 August 17 06:10 BST (UK) »
I have only got them in thirsk so far and heading towards pickering area, then again I haven't really spent a great deal of time researching hubbies side so far

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to poor Elizabeth Foxton Living In Whitby Born 1867 in Stokesley
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 August 17 06:12 BST (UK) »
when I checked the rest of the kids out on gro, they are all coming up with having the mothers name as crowther

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
They do Dawn, the Thirsk Foxton's are a different family but i would assume they most likely are related somewhere.
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 17:13 BST (UK) »
no I'm talking about your foxtons not mine! the name of the mum is not carruthers its crowther

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
Yeah i know, i found them all when the GRO let the surnames out! I think i found there oldest William Registered in Elizabeth's maiden name and the only one i can't seem to find is Richards.

FOXTON, JOHN       CREWTHERS     Order
GRO Reference: 1855  M Quarter in STOKESLEY  Volume 09D  Page 406
FOXTON, ISABELLA       CRUTHERS     Order
GRO Reference: 1857  J Quarter in WHITBY  Volume 09D  Page 378
FOXTON, MARY  ANN     CROWTHERS     Order
GRO Reference: 1859  M Quarter in STOKESLEY  Volume 09D  Page 424
FOXTON, JANE       CROOTHERS     Order
GRO Reference: 1862  J Quarter in WHITBY  Volume 09D  Page 416
FOXTON, GEORGE       CRUDDACE     Order
GRO Reference: 1865  M Quarter in STOKESLEY  Volume 09D  Page 450  Occasional
FOXTON, ELIZABETH       CROWTHERS     Order
GRO Reference: 1867  M Quarter in STOKESLEY  Volume 09D  Page 450
FOXTON, JOSEPH       CROWTHERS     Order
GRO Reference: 1869  M Quarter in STOKESLEY  Volume 09D  Page 484
FOXTON, MARGARET       CROTHERS     Order
GRO Reference: 1871  M Quarter in STOKESLEY  Volume 09D  Page 501
FOXTON, ESTHER       CRUDDUS     Order
GRO Reference: 1875  D Quarter in GUISBROUGH  Volume 09D  Page 473 
FOXTON, CHRISTIANA       CRUTHERS     Order
GRO Reference: 1880  S Quarter in WHITBY  Volume 09D  Page 48
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
I think that your foxtons and mine are related to each other maybe cousins etc etc

Offline scattergenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 09:50 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Lisa!

This is an email I sent to my Mam yesterday - I'm hopeful that you might want to read through and correct anything you feel I might have gotten wrong. Please also read my comments afterwards because my Mam has already corrected me about the date of Thomas Gibsons death.

Hi Mam,

I've been doing some digging now on your Dads family.

Robert Gibson was the name of your Great Grandad. He was born in 1829 in Horton which is West of Blyth and no longer really exists. Here is a map from 1820 (1st attachment at the bottom, just click on it) and you can see that Horton was west of Blyth and south of what they called Coopen (now Cowpen) with a few houses.

He married a lady called Jane Thompson, I've found them living at Coopen Colliery, Waterloo, Morpeth in 1871. At that time He was 42, Jane 39 and they had 2 children Barbara aged 11, and John Thomas (your grandad) was 8. He was a coal miner.

By 1881, they'd moved to Newburn, by this time your Grandad was 18 and it shows that by then he had another sister called Mary, who was 4. As Jane was 49 by this time I have a sneaking feeling that Mary might actually be Barbara's baby as she was 21 and still living with them and unmarried. Maybe this might be why they moved from Cowpen to Newburn - anyway, I haven't really looked into it too much but the pits in Blyth were doing really well at the time, sending out more and more coal, and so it can't have been for lack of work.

In 1901 your Great Grandparents were still alive and kicking - only 70 and 72 - but your great grandad was STILL working in the pits! They still had your Grandad living with them in Mount Pleasant in Newburn aged 33 - but there was another young lady living there too - Christina Foxton, a 21 year old servant from Whitby. I wonder how they met? This was your Grandma! Your great grandma Jane died later that year and your great grandad Robert wasn't far behind her, he died the following year.

What might have been a bit scandalous at that time was that your Dad's sister Esther was born to John Thomas and Christina the year before, and she must've been pregnant with your Dad before they got married (I've got Grandad born in 1903 - I always thought it was 1901?).

They went on to have more babies, Barbara, Louisa (I'm in touch with her great granddaughter Lisa Robinson through researching the family tree, she lives in Middlesborough) Christina  (born and died the same year - your Dad would have been 7.... imagine the trauma of a little 7 year old boy losing a baby sister - so sad). I have records of them having other children - James, Thomas and George Edward, with gaps of 3-5 years between each. She had her last baby at 41 and was 65 when she died in 1946. Your Grandad, who was a bit older than Christina, died less than six months afterwards. Is this where the story comes from - dying from a broken heart?

Does this all sound right? Do you have any photos of any of the characters above - the ones I took pictures of on the iPad when I came up?? I recall one sitting on the steps of a caravan - who was that one again? and his friend who died? I might be able to find a newspaper cutting about the explosion.

That's it for today I think, let me know if you think it's right,

Lots of Love,

Jacquie xx

So Lisa after I sent this my Mam told me that Thomas (Grandad Tom) definitely died before Christina. She knew that Christina had been a servant, or rather had worked as Tom's housekeeper before she fell pregnant, but she was delighted to hear that she's actually been in the family home while Tom's parents were in their final years. It seems to fit in with the nature of what she remembers about her Grandma. She remembers staying with Christina the day Tom was buried, it seems that Christina was very ill and couldn't go to the funeral, she remembers being at the window with her Grandma, 'saying goodbye to Tom'. I've had a quick look on ;'find my past' and there was a Thomas Gibson who passed away in 1945, which may be him. I'd be interested to know whether the locations fit in with the back story you have. I've taken the details from the census mainly.

So the photo I'm referring to I need to work out how to send. My Mam has confirmed that it is of Tom. The trouble is there are two of them on the photo and I need her to confirm which one - there's an interesting back story (my referring to 'explosion') which I'll fill you in on if you haven't heard already.

The 'died from a broken heart' bit - I just remember that from family chats...vaguely really, that someone had lost his wife and died soon afterwards. Turns out not Tom and Christina then.

Photo to follow - my Mam is trying to remember the name of Tom's buddy - who was a Roma Gypsy. I used to tease my Mum that Tom was a Gypsy (he clearly wasn't) because they look so alike on the photo.

Hope you haven't fallen asleep reading this!

Jacquie
x

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
Morning Jacquie!

This is the information i have gathered so far and also from a older relative,

Robert Gibson was born in 1829 as of yet i still don't have a death for him BUT he does appear with John Thomas and Christiana in the 1911 census he is at the bottom of the page all though his age has been mistranscribed! He is down as 81 a widower and hes apparently been deaf for five years!
I'm not sure what year he married Jane as i've never been able to find a marriage record, her last name also has caused me some confusion because like you i had her as JANE THOMPSON! but a relative has sent me the birth certificate for John it actually only has Thomas as his name! and her name is down as Jane RIDLEY nee ELLISON! Thus where the Ridley comes into the mix! She also made a not on the birth certificate that he was baptised in Dalton-de-dale i think it says on the 28th of March 1863 as John Thomas Ridley!

Here are the birth registraions for the children going from the birth certificate i have,

RIDLEY, BARBARA       ELLISON     Order
GRO Reference: 1859  D Quarter in EASINGTON  Volume 10A  Page 297
RIDLEY, EDWARD       ELLISON     Order
GRO Reference: 1862  D Quarter in EASINGTON  Volume 10A  Page 317
RIDLEY, THOMAS       ELLISON     Order
GRO Reference: 1862  D Quarter in EASINGTON  Volume 10A  Page 318

You mention the 1881 census and Mary i beleive that Mary is infact Barbara's daughter in the 1891 census she is still living with Robert and Jane but this time is down as a relative!
Barbara marries a Edward Tubman on the 5th of March 1881 and goes on to have 5 boys with him, in 1901 she can be seen visiting her daughter Mary who by this time is married and has a baby called BARBARA!
I can't find a death for Barbara and haven't been able to trace some of the TUBMANS very far before they seem to vanish!

In 1939 i have John Thomas and Christiana living at Mayfield Aveneue in Newburn with daughter Barbara and her son Robert, I have John Thomas dying on the 20th January 1946 aged 83 a retired Colliery Coal Hewer cause of death 1A Senile Myocarditis informant George.
I then have Christiana dying on the 24th of April 1946 she died from 1a Chronic Myocarditis and son George was the informant on the death certificate.

I know that in 1943 my great grandmother and possible all of her kids where staying with John and Christina because one of my nannas siblings where born there, there own house was said to of been destroyed because of bombing but i'm still unsure about that story.

Its funny you mention Gypsies because i think its possible that's what the FOXTON side where they don't appear till the 1871 census and i know that there son George was a traveller of sorts going by newspaper articles and so on!

I'm wondering about this picture of the Caravan does your mum know the location of it? Because when my nan was born in 1934 on her birth certificate they where actually living in a Caravan in Middlesbrough! I can't tell you how much i'm looking forward to seeing this picture and looking to see if there is any resemblance to any members of my side of the family! I wonder if the man in the picture with Tom is also related to the family!
Hope your having a nice holiday!

Lisa X

Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 04 November 17 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie! I've just got my DNA results back and this is my results!

Ethnicity Estimate

Europe West 43%
 Ireland/Scotland/Wales 38%
 Scandinavia 11%
 Great Britain 7%
 Northern England & the Midlands  Low Confidence Regions
 Finland/Northwest Russia 1%
 Europe South < 1%

I'm hoping it might help with tracing Elizabeth Carruthers! It has matched me with a few people from Australia who i know belong to the Gibson side to but they don't have any other information on Elizabeth either. Hope your well x
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland