Author Topic: What happened to poor Elizabeth Foxton Living In Whitby Born 1867 in Stokesley  (Read 5608 times)

Offline Leeeeeese

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to poor Elizabeth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 April 16 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

What a sad story and frustrating for you to research...

I don't know whether you have seen this already; but I have just come across Marriage Banns In 1884 for Thomas Eccles & Elizabeth Foxton at 'Whitby St Mary the Virgin' - both of the Parish; Bachelor & Spinster. The Banns were called 9th, 16th and 23rd March.

Whilst most of the banns on the pages have a subsequent marriage date, this is one of those that doesn't...

I have had a quick search around and I can't find a subsequent marriage...  I'll come back to you if I find anything else...

Lisa

Turner - Manchester (esp Emily born circa 1853/1855)
Jones - Hulme/Manchester (esp Henry born circa 1847)
Cottrells - Ness/Neston (esp Margaret born circa 1874/1875)
Ellis - Neston and other Cheshire
Butlers - Stockport
Clarke - Whittington, Staffordshire UK and USA

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to poor Elizabeth Foxton Living In Whitby Born 1867 in Stokesley
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 April 16 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hiya Liz i did check those marriages but they don't seem to be my Elizabeth going by the censuses

And Lisa i did see them bands and couldn't find the marriage and that seemed the best possible i did try search for them anyway but no luck!

It is frustrating there's a couple of the siblings i can't find any information on after 1881 no matter how hard i look also.
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to poor Elizabeth Foxton Living In Whitby Born 1867 in Stokesley
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 April 16 00:28 BST (UK) »
The Elizabeth Foxton who died in 1892 was 'Wife of R Foxton'
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline scattergenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm researching my paternal grandfathers side of the family, recording on ancestry.com and have just started a blog on wordpress. I absolutely love Whitby, having spent a couple of family holidays there and a romantic weekend with my husband about 25 years ago. I had known that we were related to the Foxtons in Whitby, and unless my memory is playing tricks on me I seem to recall some quite fancy graves there for the Foxton family. So imagine my shock when I came across the reality. No problem with fish sellers, hawkers or even beggars, super=interesting to find out about the history  of such poverty and hardship - but goodness me that poor girl. So I've spent hours and hours trying to find out what happened to her. How terrible for this to happen, she was twelve and her brother John was 25. Of course no social services then to find out whether Elizabeth was the only victim in the family. No victim anonymity. Everyone would have known. She had three older sisters and two younger. More press cuttings and research show that Elizabeth was caught begging soon afterwards, sent out by her father along with other siblings. She was sent to an Industrial School (secure children home) in York for the next four years. I can only imagine what a life she must have had before and thereafter. The trail goes cold afterwards, I have found a girl same name and age working in the cotton mills in Manchester at 24, and a death in Sheffield the following year. There are other press cuttings, showing tales of violence drunkenness, other siblings of young Elizabeth spending time in reform schools and my Great Grandad John being described as a 'Bad' character. His wife, my great grandma was found dead in bed after no apparent ill health at the age of 50. So did you ever see the death registered in Sheffield? Or the possibility living in Manchester (shown as sister-in law). I think that after schooling it would be really unlikely that the 17 year old Elizabeth would have gone back to that miserable life, and her abuser, in Whitby. My first post - a bit long - but this story has really got to me! I do realise a lot of it is already known to you, but wondered if my leads may have been disregarded (Sheffield and Manchester) in the past, and why.

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi ScatterGenie!

Forgive me if i'm wrong but are you saying you have John Foxton in your tree? If so what details do you have because after the 1881 census i have nothing for him and i've looked and looked so if you are indeed related that is brilliant! The youngest daughter would of been my great great grandmother! I have all the information on Elizabeth which you posted but still am no clearer to find out what happened to her! There are a few Foxton families in the area also so it maybe there graves you've seen? I do have Johns birth certificate so we can check we are both talking about the correct family.
Look forward to hearing back from you!
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline scattergenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

My Great Grandmother was Christina Foxton, My Grandad was Robert 'Bob' Gibson, and his daughter, Christina, is my mum. My name is Jacquie by the way. I found an index to a death certificate for John Foxton, died in Whitby in 1886, which would have made him aged 30 or 31 which fits with the age on the index. I appreciate (now!) that there were a few branches of the Foxton family, and so of course John being a common name it may not be him. I'm thinking about ordering a copy of the death certificate, although I'm waiting for another to be delivered for a different branch of my Mums family. I've tried searching the newspapers around the time of his death to no avail - and also the court and prison records for around the time of conviction. The press cutting I've found is from the Daily Gazette April 14th 1879. He was committed to prison on 12th April for 6 months at the north Riding Police Courts.
I'm guessing we must be related in some way?

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi!!

Was your dads mother Barbara? If so we come from the same branch Barbara's sister Louisa was my great grandmother! I think the death you found for John is the correct one i have this one too!
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland

Offline dawnkaren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
this post caught my eye, I married into the foxton family! anyway as for elizabeths birth the gro  has this for her

FOXTON, ELIZABETH      mothers name   CROWTHERS     
in STOKESLEY

Offline LisaRobinson87

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawnkaren,

That's right all though her mothers maiden name varies on most of the children's birth certificates! Did the Foxtons you married into come from Whitby?
Rogers-Buckinghamshire
Pitwell- Buckinghamshire
Fisher- Middlesbrough
Robinson-Middlesbrough
Foxton - Yorkshire
Carruthers - Scotland
Gibson - Northumberland