Author Topic: Is Granny in St Quivox churchyard, and my dead baby sister?  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is Granny in St Quivox churchyard, and my dead baby sister?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
Away from the original request, something just crossed my mind when you added a few more details. (I have mining family from the St Quivox/Wallacetown area and who lived in Princes St as well). Some years ago someone had quite a collection of postcards etc and was giving a talk on Annbank Station. I had hoped to go along to it as I had family in nearby Annbank but didn't manage. I can't remember when it was but thinking about the railway porter bit, I wondered if it would be of interest to enquire at the library in Mossblown for a little bit more information.  I don't know whether they would keep any newspaper clippings or not. Always another avenue to go down
http://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/libraries/branches/mossblown-library.aspx
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
You would be better contacting Carnegie Library in Ayr. Local studies section has newspaper archives.  Another contributor suggested looking for a death/funeral notice in local newspapers. These are "Ayr Advertiser" and "Ayrshire Post".
Do you know where the stillborn baby was born? There was a maternity hospital, Thorneyflat, in north Ayr. The former Ayr Hospital which was a general hospital, wasn't far from Ayr Cemetery.
Cowban

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 07:40 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone, I still wouldn't dismiss the local library. I know they are trying to centralise a lot of family history but I found a lot of information in the Lorrimer Library in Tarbolton in relation to my own family history which isn't in the Carnegie. 
From the NRScotland site it tells you how to get stillbirth extracts.
"Extracts of still-birth records from 1939 onwards are available from National Records of Scotland for a fee. Due to the sensitive nature of still-birth registrations, these extracts are usually only issued to the parents of the still-born child.  However, siblings of still-born children may apply, either with the express consent of a parent, or on their own behalf, where they can demonstrate that their parents are no longer alive."
You will get the details on their site https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/registration/registering-a-stillbirth
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 13:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for continuing to help me and offer some good suggestions for further research which I had not thought of. I am most grateful. Will let you know if any success comes of them. Off to try now!

Thank you again, Islay