Author Topic: Is Granny in St Quivox churchyard, and my dead baby sister?  (Read 3839 times)

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is Granny in St Quivox churchyard, and my dead baby sister?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying, CaroleW.
Granny died in London where she was being cared for by her family there. Yes, I have a copy of her death certificate, and it was September 1962.
The coffin came up by train to Ayr, but I was only a little girl at the time and did not come up for the funeral or remember being told where she was interred.
She may well have lost some of her many names and be recorded as Mary McCracken Harvey, or just Mary Harvey.

Her parents Thomas and Mary McCracken are buried ar St Quivox, which is why I asked for someone to kindly check there.

Thank you for your time, Islay

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

I have looked on Scotlands People and found a marriage in 1909 between a Mary McCracken and Charles Harvey at Ayr. Is this your grandparents, Islay?
 If so, do you know where and when Charles died and was buried. I wondered if your Granny could be buried with her husband but I cannot see a death in Ayrshire which would tie in .  ( Of course he could be a WW1 casualty  :-\ )   

You say , you know  her coffin definitely came to Ayr for burial in October 1962 ......where did the coffin come from? Do you know where she died?  Was it outside Ayrshire?   

Looby :)

Added- should have checked out the red warning before I posted. I see that your Granny died in London , which would explain why we have been unable to find a death record on SP.

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 09:40 BST (UK) »
Ooh, sorry you spent time looking on SP for her death, Looby, but thank you for your time and interest. Yes, it is her marriage to Charles Harvey that you found. He was my grandfather, but they emigrated to Canada shortly after their marriage and he died over there, is buried there and so they will not have been buried together. Granny returned to Ayr after he died and lived there for many years before needing care, and so she came to live with us down in London. Hence her coffin being brought back to Ayr on the train by my parents.
  Unfortunately they have both passed away now so I cannot ask them where Granny is buried, and my sisters and I so much want to know so that we can visit and leave flowers etc.
   Thank you for yoyr time, best wishes, Islay

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
I checked Findagrave - St Quivox Churchyard -  sorry, there doesn't appear to be any Harvey's or McCrackens buried there!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 10:23 BST (UK) »
A disappointing answer for me, jaybelnz, but I thank you very much indeed for looking.

Where in Ayrshire Mary Harvey nee McCracken 1884-1962 is buried..... looks as though it will remain a mystery!

Thank you, Islay

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 10:56 BST (UK) »
Late to the thread(s) but...

Islay,

'I have tried a contact with Ayrshire Cemeteries but have been unsuccessful'

Can you tell us exactly what info. you supplied etc. & what the reply was please?

Is it possible you didn't give all known details for your g g/parents, names/dates etc?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
Not every burial has a memorial stone and not every memorial stone has all the details on it. There are several burial grounds in Ayr but it's possible there was a family lair somewhere and it might be an idea to look at where other members of the family are buried. If your granny was brought to Ayr to be buried in a lair the family already had, then I would think it best to look at perhaps her parents place of burial - or a siblings. Have you tried that already? If you have all the correct details, I would have thought Ayr burial admin office could help you providing you give them the correct details. You could also try the local newspapers to see if there was an obit or memorandum for her.
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 13:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Rosinish and Agnes 14 for taking the time to help.
   The reason I wondered about the St Quivox link was that Mary's parents and sister are buried there.(Thomas and Mary McCracken and Catherine McCulloch nee McCracken.)

Granny was born in Tarbolton, at Annbank Station, where her father was a railway porter, but they all lived in Princes Street, Ayr (now demolished) for many, many years.

I cannot add more to what I gave the Ayr Cemetery people on the phone, which is all the details that I have posted here too. I have the receipt for her coffin coming up to Ayr in October 1962, and the name of the undertaker, but they ceased trading decades ago!

I know my parents would have had a stone made for her. She was a much loved lady.

I will keep looking, and thank you all for your time and interest. Best wishes, Islay.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again Islay.
Must be really frustrating to have the details of the coffin being transported to Ayr and the undertakers involved but not be able to find out what happened thereafter.

I would agree with Agnes14. Finding where your great-grandparents were buried in 1937 would be my advice too. Your granny may have been buried in that lair....although you mention that her sister Catherine Cameron McCracken is known to be buried with your GG-parents and often there is only room for 3 burials in a lair.

Where were your great-grandparents from? Were they born in Ayr?  (Thinking of where else a burial could be)

Looby  :)