Author Topic: Littleham, Exmouth, Graveyard  (Read 2144 times)

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Littleham, Exmouth, Graveyard
« on: Sunday 01 May 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
Good morning

Does anyone have a map of this Graveyard? I will be hunting for the 1820 grave of Major George Calland. He may well have a plaque in the church too. I believe it is a rather large Graveyard.

Many thanks.

Brig

Offline john_w

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Littleham, Exmouth, Graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 May 16 11:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help with a map, but I can confirm it is a very large graveyard. Any of the online satellite maps will show you just how big it it.

You may be interested to know that Lady Nelson is buried there.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 May 16 11:00 BST (UK) »
It seems the phone number for Littleham cemetery is: 01395 263681
Perhaps if you give them a ring they will be able to help?
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mustang 68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 October 16 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Many of our family, the Carnells are interred in the Littleham cemetery.  If you can find a map, I would appreciate an e-mail copy as I am coming to the area to explore my roots in May, 2017.  Thanks, Richard Carnell,

Offline randers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Working on family history since 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 May 18 15:40 BST (UK) »
I have a maternal 4th great-aunt, Matilda (Hall) Warren of Exmouth, who was buried in Littleham in October 1903. Does anyone know which cemetery I should look-up? Online, I can only find one for Littleham called St Margaret and St Andrew Churchyard. I'm hoping to get a photo of her memorial stone if one exists. Here's a web page for Matilda (see below). Matilda's sister, Emma (Hall) Hanley, was my 3rd great-grandmother. I'm working on my Hall ancestors of Bradford, Yorkshire and Dublin, Ireland.

Matilda: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/189384356/matilda-warren

-Richard
Andersons of Cumbernauld and Heaps of Kendal

Offline Villa39

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 May 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi from Chatham, Ontario, Canada.  My wife & I travelled to the U.K. last May & spent a full day at the Littleham, Devon cemetery.  Found my great & great great grandfathers as well as may other Carnells.  It is the St. Margaret & St. Andrew church graveyard.  In the afternoon you will find a number of volunteers in the church who are very helpful as to your ancestors final resting places.  There is a map posted, but I found our ancestor's graves thanks to the gardener who had a cell phone & called the registrar & then took me directly to the area.  As there were no stones, only concrete biers with the names inscribed, we had to remove all the weeds to access such.  All ended well & I spent some time inside the church, thinking about all those who came before me.  Very humbling indeed.

Offline randers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Working on family history since 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 May 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Villa39,

Greetings from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. My 4th great-uncle, Thomas Hall (1821-1874), was a minister in the Brampton area of Ontario. I've been told that he was the one responsible for encouraging his niece, Sarah Hanley Heap (my 2nd great-grandmother and daughter of Emma Hall Hanly of Dublin), to immigrate to Ontario. The Heaps lived in Owen Sound briefly before permanently settling in Muskegon, Michigan. Anyway, Thanks for your message and help! I'm glad you had luck too! I'll try contacting the church.

-Richard
Andersons of Cumbernauld and Heaps of Kendal

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
Old maps shows that in 1890 the graveyard was less than half the size, possibly only one third of what Gmaps shows as the original churchyard (Here, I am ignoring the geometrical laid out part) I would have thought the church would have the records for the older part.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.