Author Topic: Drumcree, Kilcarney, Collinstown local knowledge please  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Drumcree, Kilcarney, Collinstown local knowledge please
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

This is very kind of you.

The Daly family are my husband's maternal line and the 1901 census you found is indeed them. I actually completed my research eventually -- it turned into a very sad story for my mother in law's family -- her father was the Michael - aged 6 on that census.

After his marriage he joined the Army and things did not end well. I obtained his papers from Dublin Military Archives who provided a brilliant free service.

I did find his death and that of his wife and wrote up a story line for my husband and his siblings. There was much they hadn't known as they left Ireland as children. My father in law was in the RAF - so they only ever returned to Ireland for holidays many years later.

Thank you so much for looking at all this for me.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Chef Stef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 21:06 BST (UK) »
That's the risk you take when looking back. However hard the information I do think it is worth it - can in time be very healing.  I know the area well so am glad you got to find the information.
Kindest regards,
Mary

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
Indeed Mary -- but I became obsessed with Family History as soon as I started to tackle my own some years back.

It's far more difficult when researching in places which are unfamiliar to you on a personal basis and I have to say the people on this Roots Chat board have been so very helpful with my Irish queries -- just brilliant.

Regards and thank you again

June
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.