Author Topic: NWN when digitized?  (Read 2813 times)

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NWN when digitized?
« on: Sunday 01 May 16 20:06 BST (UK) »
I read recently that the Newbury weekly news is going to be digitized and put online. Does anyone know the progress of this project or if it's been completed?
Steptoe  Morland  Morley  Ellis  Brewer  Seymour  Davis  Kempster  Cox  Jennings  Morgans  Edwards Powell Thatcher Brewer Withers Ferris Strode Kingston Goddard Heath Fishlake

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: NWN when digitized?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 18:52 BST (UK) »
They are fundraising - and, from what I hear, are well short of the target needed to get the project off the ground.  The British Library project may get there first.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline mamor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 May 16 08:38 BST (UK) »
I really hope they do - I'm sure there are still many stories linked to my family to be found in there... I can only cope with so much scrolling of the microfiche!  :)
FREEMANTLE - Hampshire  WILLIAMS - Gypsy/Romany family  GILES - Greenham  GILMORE - London  AMOR - Pewsey/Wilcot  DULIEU - London  BISHOP - Enborne  WILLIAMS - Kent BROWN - Kent/Peckham TIDMARSH

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 08:13 BST (UK) »
If you subscribe to British Newspapers Online you can vote for the next newspaper to be digitised - the NWN is about 35th in line at present. Vote now (you can give up to 3 of your votes to any one paper) and you might see the NWN online a bit sooner.
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.

Offline mamor

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 09:11 BST (UK) »
I did vote for NWN when British Newspaper archives first began, I no longer have a subscription but I will encourage a couple of people I know who do, to vote!
FREEMANTLE - Hampshire  WILLIAMS - Gypsy/Romany family  GILES - Greenham  GILMORE - London  AMOR - Pewsey/Wilcot  DULIEU - London  BISHOP - Enborne  WILLIAMS - Kent BROWN - Kent/Peckham TIDMARSH

Offline PamberG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 October 16 00:24 BST (UK) »
It looks as though the NWN has slipped well down the table of papers to be added to British Newspaper archive. It has only 45 votes & is now just in top 90. If anybody wants to see it appear in archive then it looks as though quite a lot of votes are needed. The highest is just over 700 & the top twenty all have over 200. In my opinion it would be a great help as at the moment West Berkshire has poor coverage.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 October 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
They are fundraising - and, from what I hear, are well short of the target needed to get the project off the ground.  The British Library project may get there first.

How are they going about this and publicising it? 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 April 17 11:06 BST (UK) »

How are they going about this and publicising it?

I'm pretty sure the lack of support has led to them giving up the idea.

Offline PamberG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
NWN when digitized?
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 April 17 14:18 BST (UK) »
I cannot see any recent updates about digitalisation of NWN. My suggestion is that if anybody wants to see digital copies you can vote on the British Newspaper Archive website, you can vote even if you are not a subscriber. Other papers with coverage in the same area are Hants & Berks Gazette and Hampshire Chronicle. If anybody has any difficulty in finding the correct page hopefully the link below should help.

http://help-and-advice.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/forums/243704-newspapers-we-should-add-next/suggestions/5994736-newbury-weekly-news