Author Topic: Help identifying symbol  (Read 1593 times)

Offline tlaporte

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help identifying symbol
« on: Monday 02 May 16 03:38 BST (UK) »
Would someone know what this symbol is?  This family crest appears as one of the 16 crests which made up the combined arms which were used by the Bolles family of Haugh, Lincolnshire.  I have identified the other 15 crests but I cannot figure out what this one is. 

In the attachment the first example is from the tomb of Richard Bolles of Haugh (d. 1592) in St Botolph's Church in Boston, Lincolnshire.  A description of the crest by an author in 1834 states these are "3 maces" but the author of The History and Antiquities of Boston (1856) uses the text from 1834 for the other 15 crests but for this one it only has "3 * * *".

The next two are as used by Sir John Bolles of Scampton (d. 1647) and from a history of the Bolles family.  This one appears to be a mace on a wreath but it would be hard to describe the first image that way.

The last example is an impression in wax from Sir John Bolles' thumb ring.  This shows a much more ornate symbol but there does seem to be a wreath and a mace in there.

Robson's 'The British Herald' (1830) does not seem to have any combination like this.

Any suggestions?

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying symbol
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 May 16 07:22 BST (UK) »
http://www.bollesfamily.org/coatarms.html

The legend about three drops of blood at the bottom of this link may explain the middle two symbols.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tlaporte

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 May 16 13:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, I know about the Bolles family's own coat of arms.  The arms that I'm asking about are not the Bolles arms.  It is one of their ancestor's. This is one of 16 arms in a combined coat-of-arms used by the Bolles of Haugh family which shows all the rights to arms they had inherited through their ancestors mostly through marriages.  (shown below)

Re: the web site you referred me to for the Bolles Arms: the Bolles couped swinesheads facing upwards in bowls mentioned there do already appear in this combined coat-of-arms as do the three drops of blood on the boar on a crest above the arms.  Attached.

I am only asking about the one arms that appears to be a mace on a wreath in the later arms but on the earlier arms is something unrecognizable to me.

Thanks

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 04:22 BST (UK) »
Could they be heraldic buckles ?    These come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)