Author Topic: Old family portrait taken by A&A Abernathy Photographers in Lerwick  (Read 5565 times)

Offline glentol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
An old family portrait in a charity shop window near London caught my attention this past weekend. It was taken by Arthur Abernathy in Lerwick. I am trying to establish who the people in the photograph are in case a family member would like to have it...as I did bring it home with me. I am attaching it below. If anyone recognises the people in the photo, please let me know. Thanks!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old family portrait taken by A&A Abernathy Photographers in Lerwick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 May 16 20:02 BST (UK) »
Should that not be Abernethy?

Skoosh.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 May 16 22:06 BST (UK) »
I sent an email off to my Cousin who still lives in Shetland & is reply is as follows:

"No, no idea at all.  Just a small item, when I was fourteen I met Andrew Abernethy, he was an old man then and he would tell stories, funny ones, I liked him.  I met him in Sandwick, and his wife was with him, her name was Ruby Norholmn.  That was in 1944.  How time flies."

A memory from the past here but it tells a small story of the Photographer.
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline glentol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 02:35 BST (UK) »
Lauraine,

Thank you for that! And please thank your cousin for me!

I have found the Abernethy brothers as interesting to me as the subjects in the photograph. Your cousin's recollection just adds to that...and to think that was in 1944! I know both brothers died in Aug and Sept of 1950, just two weeks apart. I found an article/obit for him, published in the Shetland paper, on the 21 Sept, which was 5 days before I was born in the Appalachian Mtns of Virginia.

DEATH OF MR ARTHUR ABERNETHY

RETIRED PHOTOGRAPHER AND ARTIST

Exactly a fortnight after his younger brother, Mr Arthur Abernethy, retired photographer and artist, 6 Prince Alfred Street, Lerwick, passed on, death occurring last Thursday in the Gilbert Bain Hospital, to which he was admitted recently following a considerable period of failing health. He was 87 years of age, and his passing removes the second of two very well-known and esteemed brothers in Lerwick.

A son of the late James Abernethy, merchant, Browster, Bridge-of-Walls, and Janet Cheyne, deceased came to Lerwick about 60 years ago along with his brother Andrew, and as reported a fortnight ago in connection with the latter’s death, the brothers built up a well-known photographic business which they finally wound up on retirement in 1946.

While his brother’s spare-time interest lay in music, Mr Arthur Abernethy was an enthusiastic and painstaking artist. He painted in oils, and his Shetland landscapes are to be found in not a few Shetland houses. Accurate drawing was his strong point as an artist, and in his day he was much sought after for the execution of illuminated addresses and other decorative work. From 1906 till 1937 he was the painter of the beautiful and imaginative headings to the Up-Helly-Aa Collecting Sheets, many of which are preserved in the Shetland County Library, and from the first post-war festival of 1920, he made masks to order for innumerable squads in the most skilful manner. He also drew the black-and-white illustrations for the late Thomas Manson’s “Humours of a Peat Commission”. He was quite remarkable in his versatility, and could make anything he wished to make, from boots and clothes to printing blocks.

Apart from his photographic business and artistic work, which led him into local prominence, Mr Abernethy lived very much in private, but his sterling worth and quiet sagacity were keenly appreciated by those privileged to know him.

In 1900 Mr Abernethy married Mary C. Robertson, of Fetlar, and they celebrated their golden wedding this year, during the leave home from the Sudan of their missionary son Harry and his children, who left Lerwick again three weeks ago. Their elder son was tragically cut off in his early youth by flu in 1919. The elder daughter Peggie has always lived with them, and their younger daughter Mrs Laurence Linklater, only recently removed from Lerwick to Mossbank. To Mrs Abernethy and her family sincere sympathy is extended in their bereavement.

The funeral took place on Monday afternoon from the Congregational Church to the New Cemetery, Lerwick, the officiating clergyman being the Rev. William Campbell, assisted by Mr John Huggins.

The pallbearers were:--Messrs Laurence Linklater (son-in-law), Arthur and James Andrew Abernethy, and Andrew Cheyne (cousins), Otto Robertson, Stanley Childs, L.H. Mathewson and Magnus Shearer.

What an interesting life he lived! Thank you again!

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 November 22 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lauraine.

Looking for any forebears re the following. My wife Jill Nicholson is a descendant.

Regards,

Gary
Australia.
#ROBERT NICOLSON b. 1/7/1770 Northmaven  married #BARBARA ABERNETHY c. 1801. BARBARA b.c. 1780. They had 10 children including two sets of twins.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garry

Just looked this family up and it appears there was a John Nicholson borne 1756 in Wick, Scotland.  It looks like he might have moved to Shetland or at least some of his family did.

Please refer to following:
https://bayanne.info/Shetland/search.php?mybool=AND&myfirstname=John&mylastname=NIcholson&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0

This site is an excellent FREE SITE and where I got much of my information on my family.  Good luck.  If you can't get this site let me know and will send you the main site.

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lauraine.

Thanks very much for that. Will follow your suggestion.

Cheers,

Gary.