Author Topic: WW1 Army Service Records Meanings  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Brian1949

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching family since 1984
    • View Profile
WW1 Army Service Records Meanings
« on: Monday 02 May 16 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a few more questions concerning my grandfather Fred Johnsons service records as follows:

1 - In the attached copy on 14/2/1918 and 23/61918 his battalion (the West Yorkshire Regiment) is given as what looks like "5.2 (G)". On searching the web the closest I can find is "52 Batallion (Graduated) - what is this?.
2 - In the same copy further down Fred is transferred to Army Reserve "B" then below it is the following "Permitted to proceed to sea for a period of 12 months from". What does this mean and why?
3 - On the second copy, under wounded, it specifies "Slight France 1914 List 7864"
What is List 7864? could it be an error as his army number was 8864.
Thanks in advance
Brian
Cook, Johnson, Elliott, Fenwick, Hall, Sarginson,
Brunton, Ward, Gilroy, Purdey, Pearson

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Army Service Records Meanings
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 May 16 19:43 BST (UK) »
1. I've already answered this in your previous thread. He was in a Garrison Batt.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Brian1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 May 16 21:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim,
I was talking about the entries further down the page, which occur on 14/2/1918 and 23/6/1918 the battalion is 5.2 (g) and web searches show this to be 52 battalion "Graduated" - is this the same as garrison battalion
Brian

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 May 16 21:13 BST (UK) »
No. 1 GB was renumbered 52.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 May 16 21:31 BST (UK) »
Reading the later part of his record it looks to me that he was wounded & repatriated to convalesce & then re-graded to something other than A1 possibly B1 & I think that is what the list no. refers to.
He was then sent back to Malta to no. 1 Garrison Batt. which was re-numbered 52 Garrison Batt.
After the war he returned to the UK & (I think) was sent back to the Training Batt. for his last year of service before being discharged.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 May 16 23:18 BST (UK) »
It seems to me that from 14 2 1918 he was a trainer in the 52nd (Graduated) Battalion. It was a training battalion based in the UK. A totally different unit to the 1st Garrison Battalion which was in Malta.

See
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/the-prince-of-waless-own-west-yorkshire-regiment/

He was a pre war Regular soldier having enlisted in 1908. Normally he would have done 7 yrs with the colours and then 5 in Reserves. When war broke out he was already in service (with 2nd Battalion in Malta, see above link) Given he was now at war he wasn't placed in Class B after 7 yrs, instead he was placed in it in 1919 and remained in it till the 12 years were up i.e 3 6 1920 where it says Discharged End Term of Engagement. His attestation sheet should show what that term of engagement was. (7 & 5 probably)
See
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/british-army-reserves-and-reservists/

Given the committments of being a Class B Reservist he obviously needed dispensation to got to sea.

Re List 7864. This was the number of the composite casualty list compiled at the based depot in France.

So, in summary. He is a regular soldier, serving with 2nd Battalion in Malta when war breaks out. The 2nd Bn return to UK in Sept 1914 and then they go to France on 5 11 1914. He is wounded before the year end and is sent back to the UK on 5 1 1915. That 3rd Battalion bit dated 11 2 1915 might be an actual posting or an administrative one whilst he was recovering from his wound. He is posted to the 1st Garrison battalion from July 1915 to Dec 1917 when he returns to the UK where he is again shown in 3rd Battalion (this might be an actual posting or an administrative one if he was hospitalised with an illness). He is the posted to the 52nd Graduated battalion, highly likely as a trainer, where he remains until he is discharged to Class B Reserves in 1919 and then final discharge in 1920.

Offline Brian1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 06:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gwil and jim1,
That is extremely helpful, I now have a much better understanding of his life in the army.
I have his records for his time in the reserves and also the Second World War where he joined up with the Durham Light Infantry.
Thank again
Brian

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 07:12 BST (UK) »
Brian
I went looking for his records but soon found they weren't available. I hadn't seen your other thread then.  I was looking for the date of the wounding in 1914. A form called Casualty Form-Active Service (Army Form B 108) usually gives a more detailed list of a man's movements overseas. Which field ambulance/casualty clearing station/hospital etc etc. It might have been weeded out

When you say 'his time in reserves' do you mean after 1920 but before WW2? From what you have posted his normal reserve period came to a end with that final discharge in 1920. Maybe he re-enlisted to Class D? (see the link re Reserves for Class D) or maybe you mean the Territorial Army?

Offline Brian1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 08:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gwil
Fred's time in the Army Reserve "B" came to an end in 1920 but he re-enlisted in 1923 with Section D of the Army Reserve for 4 years completing his service in 1927.
He then enlisted in the Territorial Army Reserve (home service only, National Defence Companies)on 5th June 1939 and was discharged on 22/2/1941 ( his services being no longer requires) he was then 53 years of age.
You mentioned the casualty form active service - is this available?
Brian