Author Topic: Early settlers in Ohariu Valley "COMPLETED"  (Read 3833 times)

Offline paganlynny

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Early settlers in Ohariu Valley "COMPLETED"
« on: Wednesday 20 July 05 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find any info on my g grandfather George Field that married in Ohariu, Wellington  in 1889 and died there in 1905. He was buried in Ohariu but i think all records were destroyed in fire. Any info on the area would also be appreciated.
Lyn
Field, Eng/N.Z
Lewer, Surrey/N.Z
Turner, Kent/N.Z
Linn, Scotland/N.Z.
Vartha, Cornwall/N.Z

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Early settlers in Ohariu Valley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 05 05:02 BST (UK) »
Hi paganlynny,

Ohariu Valley is a long narrow valley to the north west of Wellington, with one torturous sealed road running its length. It's known for farming and not a lot else apart from a riding school. The URL below will show you where it is in relation to Wellington, and discuss its rainfall, although I doubt you'll find that bit very riveting ;-)

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/NZ/0/Ohariu.html

I didn't know there was a cemetery in Ohariu, but I'll see if I can dig anything up for you...oops, unintended pun, sorry.

riley
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 05 05:09 BST (UK) »
I've found a list of cemeteries and residents which includes Ohariu and 2 FIELD's, although not George;

http://www.angelfire.com/az/nzgenweb/cemetery.html

I'll keep looking.

riley
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Kate NZ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 August 05 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi this may be of some use Probate Record George Field Ohariu Valley Labourer Died January 22nd 1905 date of will filed February 23rd 1905 more onfo Archives NZ Wellington 1893 Electoral Roll George Field Farmer Ohariu happy hunting Harriet :-*
Borders Ettrick Brydon/Bryden Smeal Tait
East Lothian King Pryde Skirvin<br />Lauder Berwick   Murdison Watson<br />Midlothian  Smail Hamilton <br />Glasgow Bryan<br />Clackmannan Todd Ramsay <br />Shetland Isles Nelson Hubbys side<br />East Sussex Fellows Hutchinson Branscombe<br />London Bowers <br />Devon Branscombe <br />Devon French Bird Dommett Hubbys side<br />Ireland Fitzgerald Bryan Burns.

Offline Mrs Chappie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early settlers in Ohariu Valley "COMPLETED"
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 February 18 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paganlynny,  I have just found your question. I have been visiting the Ohariu Valley area lately, as my husband's 3rd Gt Grandmother, Caroline Aston (nee Whittaker) is buried in the cemetery of the little Holy Trinity Church, Ohariu.  It is a beautiful little building, and the residents have raised $100,000 in recent years to restore the church. It features sheep in the cemetery, who keep the grass down.  We are in the process of arranging the restoration of our family's grave. I didn't notice a gravestone for your relation, but we are going down to Wellington again on 5 February, so we might pop out there and have a look.  The church is still in use, albeit just monthly services, I believe.  If you google it, you might see a photo of it.  I have attached a photo from the early 1900s.  The grave with the picket fence is our family's grave.   Contrary to someone's comment, there is quite a lot going on in the valley.  Lots of equestrian schools, and a great place to have weekend brunch, The Saddleback Cafe. (named after one of our NZ native birds).  It's very beautiful, and there is a lot of house building going on, and many beautiful big houses on lifestyle blocks as well as farms.   
Gorbals,Anderston, Glasgow. Brogan, McFarlane, Mellon, McClafferty, also Ireland for McFarlane, Brogan.
England: Ayres, Lancaster, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, Hitchin, Herts, Luton, Beds. Chapmans, Clerkenwell, London.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 February 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mrs Chappie

Just to let you know, 'paganlynny' has not visited this forum since June 2010 - and she also has a note alongside of her profile saying "sorry, but my emails are no longer working" ... which probably means that she may not see your message here.  :(

It does appear too, that there wasn't a headstone for George FIELD at Holy Trinity (Ohariu).   
At the link provided in 'spades' Reply # 2 here, the list of headstones at Holy Trinity is given - along with family surnames.   For good measure I also checked a further resource and found only > Harriett FIELD (d. 1911) and her husband James Salmons FIELD (d. 1936) ... and an infant, Myrtle May FIELD (d. 1890), had memorials there.  [Area "B" Scattered memorials - no row numbers allocated.]

It certainly is a beautiful little church ... so pleased to learn of the restoration project.  :)   I recall visiting it many moons ago, on a weekend visit out to the "Valley". 

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 February 18 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi this may be of some use Probate Record George Field Ohariu Valley Labourer Died January 22nd 1905 date of will filed February 23rd 1905 more onfo Archives NZ Wellington 1893 Electoral Roll George Field Farmer Ohariu happy hunting Harriet :-*

In case someone is following this FIELD family at some later date, here is the link to access the probate file of George FIELD.    The file also includes a copy of his death certificate.
[NZ Probate Records - now available via FamilySearch Website. ]

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9VX-16H7?i=260&wc=7HT1-KYN%3A1045248401%2C1045530001%3Fcc%3D1865481&cc=1865481

~  Lu

Offline Mrs Chappie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update, everyone! I'll just continue on with my relation, Caroline Whittaker.  :)
Gorbals,Anderston, Glasgow. Brogan, McFarlane, Mellon, McClafferty, also Ireland for McFarlane, Brogan.
England: Ayres, Lancaster, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, Hitchin, Herts, Luton, Beds. Chapmans, Clerkenwell, London.