Author Topic: 1872 Stat Register Birth of Williamina McKay in Farr - looking for father  (Read 2182 times)

Offline CanadaScot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,

I am trying to find more information about the birth father of Williamina McKay.

I have a stat registered birth record for Williamina McKay born on December 31st, 1872 in Kirkton Farr. Her mother was Caroline McKay but there's no father named on this record.

However, on her marriage record it states that her reputed father was John Falconer, a general labourer. Unfortunately that is all the information I have.

If any has any information about the Falconer family in Sutherland that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!  :D

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: 1872 Stat Register Birth of Williamina McKay in Farr - looking for father
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Is anything written on the left hand panel of the birth registration ?
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=551&1314

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline CanadaScot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 May 16 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Is anything written on the left hand panel of the birth registration ?
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=551&1314

ev

Hi ev,

No, there's nothing in that part of the register.

I am kind of at a loss for how to go about this part of the tree.  I may never know I'm afraid.  ???

~Steph

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 16 07:54 BST (UK) »
One possibility is to look at the minutes of the kirk session for the parish to see if there are details of the father there. If they survive they would be available to read on-line in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh and in some archives elsewhere in the country.

It might be useful, however, to look at the 1871 census to see if there are any suspect John Falconers in the area. The mother, of course, might have conceived the child while working, perhaps as a domestic servant, away from home, but returned there for the birth.

Offline CanadaScot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 May 16 05:36 BST (UK) »
One possibility is to look at the minutes of the kirk session for the parish to see if there are details of the father there. If they survive they would be available to read on-line in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh and in some archives elsewhere in the country.

It might be useful, however, to look at the 1871 census to see if there are any suspect John Falconers in the area. The mother, of course, might have conceived the child while working, perhaps as a domestic servant, away from home, but returned there for the birth.

Thank you for the tips! I'll definitely be going to the National Records when I'm in Scotland again, maybe next year. What a wonderful idea - to look at the 1871 census for his name. I hadn't thought of that! Williamina's mother, Caroline, was a domestic servant so that may give me some idea of where to go from here.

Thanks again, much appreciated!  :)