Author Topic: Help finding where James Nicol buried - died 1942 in Edinburgh  (Read 2179 times)

Offline CanadaScot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding where James Nicol buried - died 1942 in Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 May 16 05:39 BST (UK) »
it's tricky sometimes doing this family history search from across the Atlantic.  :D

Either you search and get 43,000,000 hits on A******y and you can't see how to narrow it down enough to get rid of the 42,999,999 hits you don't have time to wade through, or you get to the point of knowing where your possible relative died, only to find out that unless you can prove they are your relative you can't get the certificate and without the certificate you can't prove ... etc ... etc :D

Oh my goodness, I couldn't imagine!! I know that A******y is tricky to use and have honestly had much more luck with the Mormon family history website.

Are you looking in the States or Canada?

Offline CanadaScot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 May 16 05:52 BST (UK) »
Fife Free Press on BNA reports a couple of tributes paid by the minister of Pathhead West Church, one from the pulpit at Sunday service and one at the local presbytery meeting. James Nicol had been a member of the church choir, an elder and also superintendent of the Sunday School. He had retired fr Messrs Nairn a few years previously and died in EDinburghRoyal Infirmary following an operation.
There is also a death notice in the paper on 18/7/1942 which mentions his wife Magdalene Beveridge but does not give funeral arrangements.
Isobel

Thank you very much Isobel! Although there's no information re: funeral arrangements, you have still given me some information that I never knew about my great grandfather. Unfortunately a lot of information was lost and was never passed to my father as his father (James' son) died when he was a baby. It's comforting to learn personal details about him  :D

So, thank you very much!
Stephanie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 May 16 08:35 BST (UK) »
Are you looking in the States or Canada?

Both. I have at present 315 people in my tree who were born in Scotland and are known to have died in either Canada or the USA, and an unknown number born in Scotland who also emigrated, or may have emigrated to North America.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CanadaScot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 16:54 BST (UK) »
Fife Free Press on BNA reports a couple of tributes paid by the minister of Pathhead West Church, one from the pulpit at Sunday service and one at the local presbytery meeting. James Nicol had been a member of the church choir, an elder and also superintendent of the Sunday School. He had retired fr Messrs Nairn a few years previously and died in EDinburghRoyal Infirmary following an operation.
There is also a death notice in the paper on 18/7/1942 which mentions his wife Magdalene Beveridge but does not give funeral arrangements.
Isobel

I have had success! Contacted the Fife library and gave them the references I had available to me from you Isobel (so thank you!!) and after some time they sent 2 articles to me. Very much appreciated for the help, so thank you!