Author Topic: Manor Park Cemetery, London  (Read 2345 times)

Offline chrissyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Manor Park Cemetery, London
« on: Tuesday 03 May 16 19:25 BST (UK) »
Using the Deceased Online website, I have found the burial details of several family members who were buried in Manor Park Cemetery. I am hoping to visit the Cemetery soon and try to locate their graves but having searched for ancestors in large cemeteries before I know what an extremely difficult job this is (and one which invariably turns out to be unsuccessful).

The map on the Cemetery's website shows the different numbered and lettered areas there, and I wondered if anyone else here who has searched the Cemetery has found the map to be any help. Do the area numbers etc bear any relevance to the details in the burial records of 90+ years ago?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Manor Park Cemetery, London
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 20:26 BST (UK) »
contact the cemetery, let them know which plots you want to visit and ask for a more detailed map.

http://www.mpark.co.uk/default.aspx?ID=8

They might even be able to meet you on the day and point you in the right direction.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline chrissyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 21:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, dawnsh. I'll give that a try  :)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 00:21 BST (UK) »
Mum and Dad visiting Manor Park when they were down at a relative's funeral in December 2014 and using the two maps from DeceasedOnline they were able to find Dad's grandfather and step grandmother's grave and also his 2xGreat Grandparent's grave from the maps.  The last burial in the older grave was in 1910 and it was still there in 2014, unlike some cemeteries who have been reusing them more regularly.  Admittedly both graves were in the same wider area but they had no issue finding them from those maps.  The later grave we knew there was definitely a headstone, although Dad doesn't think he'd ever visited it, the other we didn't know for definite but finding it was a bonus as so few in our family survive. 

They also visited East London Cemetery the same day looking for Mum's grandfather's grave which she'd never seen and had more of a job finding that as they had no map and only some instructions from the Cemetery Office when they visited.  Thankfully we did have the grave numbers so they were able to get some directions.

It may be worth asking at the very least if there are gravestones as you have the plot numbers, they should be able to advise.  At least then it gives you something to aim at. 
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline chrissyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 19:01 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply, smudwhisk. I've got a few more look-ups to do on Deceased Online so I'll take a look at the maps there too.

Thanks for the tip!  :)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 19:17 BST (UK) »
The maps are £2.50 each but if you're lucky and you've more than one in the same area, you only need to buy one map.  Worth checking the first map to see before buying any others as they are a little pricey. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline chrissyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, smudwhisk. Your help is much appreciated!  :)