Author Topic: Robert Moore family Londonderry  (Read 3731 times)

Offline n randolph

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Moore family Londonderry
« on: Tuesday 03 May 16 21:01 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about Robert Moore born in 1816.  He lived in Londonderry.  He married Fanny Blair in 1836 in Derrykeighan ,Dervock.   They lived in Londonderry after marriage. They had 2 sons in Ireland.  James Blair Moore was born in Derry in 1837.  Robert Blair Moore was born in 1839 in Coleraine. Robert was a shoemaker. Robert sailed on the Barque Minerva in late 1839.  He left from Londonderry and went to Philadelphia.  Fanny and her two sons left on the George Washington from Liverpool in early 1841.  I had my DNA tested and found 2nd cousins with Moore connections living in England today.  I saw in the 1831 census that several Moores lived in Londonderry in Tamlaght Finlagen.  I know that they often lived near other relatives in the US., both in Pennyslvania and Ohio.

I have never found any information about Robert's family.  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  I have spent lots of money to join several different sites over the years. If anyone can come up with any ideas  on what to do next I would love to hear them.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Moore family Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 22:27 BST (UK) »
Londonderry is the name of both the city and the county which can sometimes cause confusion.

Derrykeighan and Dervock are in County Antrim (not far from Ballymoney which is near the Co. Londonderry border. Coleraine is not far away on the Co. Derry side of the River Bann.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline n randolph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 01:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much.  This definitely tells me where exactly my Blairs were.  I knew Derrykeighan  is where they were married, and I had found a James Blair in Ballymoney in the census of 1831.

I knew Coleraine wasn't too far from Derry because I have been doing research on the area.  I am taking a trip to the area in June.  I have been to Ireland four times , but never Northern Ireland (beyond Belfast.)

Thank you.  I appreciate any help I can get. 

I have my Blair family  way back because her sister married a member of the LDS Church.    I also am having difficulty pinning down the exact religion.  I think they were probably Presbyterians in Ireland.  (  There are some records that indicate the Moores may have originated in Northumberland, before the Ulster Plantation.  My DNA shows that I am British Isles/ Irish predominantly.  The Blairs were definitely originally Scottish.)  While in Pennsylvania, one of their children born in Pennsylvania was definitely baptized as a Methodist.  Then their son Robert married his first wife in a Catholic Church in Ohio.  After her death, he married again and became a founding member of a Methodist church.

Once again thank you for your response.  As i said, all help is appreciated!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 09:28 BST (UK) »
I knew Coleraine wasn't too far from Derry because I have been doing research on the area.
Coleraine isn't that close to Derry (city)- it's probably about 35 miles between them. Coleraine to Derrykeighan is less than 10 miles.

Robert Moore born in 1816.  He lived in Londonderry.  He married Fanny Blair in 1836 in Derrykeighan ,Dervock.   They lived in Londonderry after marriage. They had 2 sons in Ireland.  James Blair Moore was born in Derry in 1837.  Robert Blair Moore was born in 1839 in Coleraine.
I suspect that the above should read that Robert Moore lived in County Derry, married Fanny Blair in Derrykeighan & they lived in Co. Derry afterwards. Sons born somewhere in Co. Derry and Coleraine.

I saw in the 1831 census that several Moores lived in Londonderry in Tamlaght Finlagen.
Tamlaght Finlagan parish is Ballykelly area (closer to Derry City than to Coleraine). Moore is a very common surname all over Ulster.

I knew Derrykeighan  is where they were married, and I had found a James Blair in Ballymoney in the census of 1831.
Blair is another common surname in Ulster and the 1831 census only lists head of household.

Offline n randolph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A check of my records, show that in Hardesty's book from 1882, it shows Robert Blair Moore was born on April 26, 1839.  It says Coleraine, County Antrim.  This is from when he was still alive.  I have also found records from a magazine where he lived.  In this Robert B. Moore states he  was born in County Antrim.   I thought Coleraine was on the Antrim coast in County Derry. I am a little confused. I also have records showing his brother James was born in Derry.  The LDS site definitely shows Robert and Fanny being married in Derrykeighan.  This is info from Fanny's sister and generations of relatives. 

So based on this AND what you wrote, do you think I would be better served to be looking at County Derry records or County Antrim records? ( I also have records showing Robert definitely was on a ship from Londonderry to the US.) 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 23:20 BST (UK) »
Coleraine is in Co.Londonderry on the North Coast not Co. Antrim but it's possible for the family to have lived on the Co, Antrim side but given Coleraine as the name of the nearest town. It's equally possible that the family moved about the area and lived in both places. Londonderry (city) is probably the port they left from.

Offline n randolph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 May 16 00:42 BST (UK) »
My best guess is that they lived in County Derry since i know that son James was born there.  He was the oldest child.  I also have found records that Robert had a shoemaking shop in Derry / or Londonderry.  Perhaps they were visiting in Antrim, since Fanny's parents definitely lived in Derrykeighan.  Her mother originally came from Dervock.

They moved only a few times in the states, each time they were near family.  As I previously stated Robert ,the father, definitely left from the port of Londonderry and arrived in Pennsylvania living near other Moores and Blairs.  The mother and 2 boys did not leave immediately with Robert.  They left later from Liverpool, where Fanny had relatives.

I still have cousins living in England, some with Moore relatives originating from Londonderry and Ballymony.
I appreciate your correspondence.  I know my first cousin will also be coming to Northern Ireland this summer.  I hope we find some info that will provide a clue as to who Robert's father was.  Old bible records (that have since disappeared) show the family originally in Northumberland. (I have been there and to Proni and Dublin, but mostly there aren't records to help me find what I need.)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 May 16 09:04 BST (UK) »
If the family moved back and forth between counties Antrim and Derry then the children might not have given the correct place of birth in later years so don't be too set on one over the other at this point.

Offline n randolph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 May 16 17:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input.  I don't think they moved from the Derry area because other records ONLY show them in Londonderry.  I just think Robert Blair Moore was probably born in a different place.  My reasoning is because they are reasonably close together allowing for visiting, plus since Robert the father was going to America shortly after his son was born, perhaps she stayed with her family.  Also, when their last son Samuel was born, he was the only child born in Michigan.  Again, they had relatives in Michigan, AND the Michigan border was VERY close to the Ohio border near where they lived.  I also lived in the same lace for a long time, as  a child I literally walked to the Michigan border.  I had an older sister who lived in Michigan, worked in Ohio. Same type of thing. 

I only care because I am trying to find the original Moores.  Once they are in America, there is very few unknowns :0)  In the meantime, I'll enjoy seeing Northern Ireland this summer, regardless of whether or not I find new Moore relatives.