Author Topic: JoyceFamily KilbrideMayo  (Read 1844 times)

Offline JaneDare

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JoyceFamily KilbrideMayo
« on: Wednesday 04 May 16 04:18 BST (UK) »
Michael and Ellen Joyce of Kilbride/Owenbrin, CoMayo were my great grandparents. They are in house #25 in the 1911 Census and their daughter, Sarah, is my grandmother who emigrated and settled in Pittsburgh PA @1911. Her 1916 Philadelphia marriage license with Michael Joseph Regan (my grandfather) of Townranny, CoGalway indicates that her mother Ellen Joyce's maiden name was also Joyce. I am wondering if this is correct: i.e., That Michael Joyce married Ellen Joyce, or if perhaps Ellen's maiden name as stated on her daughter's marriage license is wrong, and Ellen had a different maiden name. If she was born a Joyce, is it possible to identify her parents? Thanks for any assistance as I've been stuck on this for quite a while.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JoyceFamily KilbrideMayo
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 05:15 BST (UK) »
Is this the couple in 1901 and 1911?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Owenbrin/Kilbride/1577113/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Owenbrin/Kilbride/704856/

If so, I've looked at baptismal records for their children and more importantly, several of the civil birth records as well and yes, the mother is recorded as Ellen Joyce (Sarah was born 27 April 1891, mother Ellen Joyce).

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 06:31 BST (UK) »
Notwithstanding their ages in the 1901 census return, likewise the "years married" in the 1911 return, there is a marriage for a Michael and Ellen Joyce in 1858, followed by a run of 9 births / baptisms from 1859 to 1891, the latter children match those in the 1901 census. Anyway here is the marriage from Balla RC parish, 2? April 1858, Michael Mally and Julia Blake witnessed (right page, 4th entry up from bottom):

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000631999#page/39/mode/1up

Just a possibility.

Offline JaneDare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 15:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, this is the right Family. The house  Census# changed between 1901 and 1911. Thank you for confirming Ellen's maiden name as "Joyce." Now I have another problem, though. . . . The marriage license I got from Mother of Sorrows Church in Philadelphia PA gives Sarah's birthday as Dec 24th! It looks like she completed the information in her own hand, so I was pretty confident about that Christmas Eve Birthday until now.
I realize it's not uncommon to find confusion on such points. Do you know if/how I can figure out whether this Ellen Joyce derives from one of the many other Joyce Families in Kilbride or nearby?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 17:43 BST (UK) »

... Now I have another problem, though. . . . The marriage license I got from Mother of Sorrows Church in Philadelphia PA gives Sarah's birthday as Dec 24th! It looks like she completed the information in her own hand, so I was pretty confident about that Christmas Eve Birthday until now.
I realize it's not uncommon to find confusion on such points. Do you know if/how I can figure out whether this Ellen Joyce derives from one of the many other Joyce Families in Kilbride or nearby?

I was working off a transcribed record which says that Sarah's birth was registered at Cappaghduff, a subdistrict of Ballinrobe, the address was Kilbride.   However, looking to another source, the Irish Civil Registration Indexes on FamilySearch show several "Sarah Joyce" candidates, by cross checking other sources, I can rule out all bar this one in the registration quarter Apr-Jun of 1891, for which you could order up a research copy from Roscommon GRO (I suspect it will confirm the 27th April):

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FBD5-S2V

You may struggle taking things back further, you can see the paucity of information in the church records of this era in the marriage link I provided for Michael and Ellen (if indeed this is the right couple). In addition (and from looking at a number of Joyce records for that era and area), you have a lot of intra-marriage going on, ie. lots of Joyces marrying Joyces.

Offline JaneDare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hello, I believe I may now have my Gggranfather's name: Thomas Joyce. He was the father of Michael Joyce of Kilbride/Owenbrin, Mayo, who married Ellen (also) Joyce @ 1858 in the Balls RC Church. This Thomas was also the father of Martin Joyce (Margaret Kearney), Stephen Joyce (Sabina Higgins), and John Joyce. Is there a way to determine the name of my Gggrandmother, Thomas' wife? Thanks for any help you can provide.