Author Topic: William Wagstaff  (Read 589 times)

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Wagstaff
« on: Wednesday 04 May 16 05:24 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I need some help in working out whether the man in the subject line actually went to NSW.
His ship the "Port Sea" left Portmouth in 1838 to Sydney, but because they were running low on water they headed for Tasmania.  The Convicts were later transported to Sydney on the Augusta Jessie. Some of Williams Regiment(51st) went to Sydney with other Regiments. The other remained in Tasmania.
William was with his wife Mary, and daughters Mary Ann(1836) and Sarah (1839).
William and family then disembarked on the Runnymede from Tasmania to Western Australia in 1840. 
My problem is, Williams wife and 2 daughters were listed on the Poet Sea Surgeon Superintendents logs, Sarah wouldn't have been born or was born on board the Port Sea, but there is no mention in the logs that there was any births.  Would her birth have been registered when they arrived in Tasmania? 
Terrell, Mitchell, Morris and Wagstaff

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Wagstaff
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 16 09:33 BST (UK) »
Maybe at that date there was no system  of Birth registration in Tasmania?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Wagstaff
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 16 09:52 BST (UK) »
Kishtu, have you checked here:
http://www.linc.tas.gov.au/archive-heritage/guides-records/Pages/BDM-registration.aspx

I don't know anything about Tas records, but I'm sure someone who can help will be along soon.

Maybe at that date there was no system  of Birth registration in Tasmania?

Google will help to some extent with this kind of thing. Not much point in just randomly guessing .... ::)

Added: I will ask a moderator to move this to the Australia board. There are some very knowledgeable people there who should be able to help you properly.