Author Topic: James Brand Smith & Elizabeth Rule  (Read 2905 times)

Offline RuleFamilyQld

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Brand Smith & Elizabeth Rule
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 May 16 05:06 BST (UK) »
That's great thank you i didn't have their date of death yet.  I'm hoping to find the name of their son,  and have been looking for funeral notices or gravestones.
The nz census is on the ancestry website :) James is on there for 63-78 i think so at least a few years worth of records are listed
Thank you

Offline RuleFamilyQld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 May 16 07:54 BST (UK) »

Mrs. Elizabeth Smith - birthdate 2/4/1926 - UK address 49 Park Avenue, Laucieston, Falkirk, Stirlingshire, occupation Sewer.   Left London for Auckland on 8/6/1956 on the ship Rangitiki.

Can i ask where you found the ships information,  I'm trying to find a passenger list. Thanks for your help

Offline RuleFamilyQld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 May 16 10:52 BST (UK) »
Only record I can see is James Brand Smith age 17 born about 1927 this James has been a crew member for 9 months .Departed Greenock on ship Wave King for New York ..
Rosie

Turns out this might be him!! 

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 May 16 12:08 BST (UK) »

Mrs. Elizabeth Smith - birthdate 2/4/1926 - UK address 49 Park Avenue, Laucieston, Falkirk, Stirlingshire, occupation Sewer.   Left London for Auckland on 8/6/1956 on the ship Rangitiki.

Can i ask where you found the ships information,  I'm trying to find a passenger list. Thanks for your help

It's under UK Outward Passenger Lists on both Ancestry and FindmyPast.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RuleFamilyQld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 May 16 12:17 BST (UK) »
You are much better at searching it than i am.. Needle in a hat stack

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 May 16 12:20 BST (UK) »
I have checked and Ancestry does not have New Zealand Census Records.   May I quote from Ancestry Using Electoral Roll Records:
Electoral rolls are valuable “census substitutes” and they become even more important in countries like New Zealand where census records are not available. Electoral rolls were also published fairly consistently nationwide and can provide a useful way of tracking individuals over time and place. Over 20 million names have been indexed in this collection.

NZ electoral rolls do not display the names of everyone in the household, and are arranged in alphabetical order by surname.  So if a household has children, or adults with different surnames you cannot determine that just by looking up your known ancestor.  NZ electoral rolls do not give the age of the elector, or their relationship to any other person.  So NZ electoral rolls are similar to Australia's electoral rolls, and are nothing like the UK Census returns. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 May 16 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, majm. I feared that it was too good to be true!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RuleFamilyQld

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 May 16 12:28 BST (UK) »
Oh I'm terribly sorry it must have been the electoral roll.  Sorry to get your hopes up!  I agree the uk census records are brilliant,  i wish ours were the same

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 May 16 12:48 BST (UK) »
No no no, no apology.   I think I was hoping that there was something 'new' on the horizon re NZ records.   I am beginning to think that Ancestry may have been a tad stretching the description as they seem to put Australian and New Zealand electoral rolls under the heading 'Census'.   

I see Forfarian was likely as hopeful as me.   Alas, but Rule it is not something you need apologise for.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.