Author Topic: Jane Cockin (a witness) to a July 1815 Selby Marriage, who was she?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Cockin (a witness) to a July 1815 Selby Marriage, who was she?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

I've seen the marriage entry which you describe ( from the Bishops transcripts of St Mary's, Selby), and is written in the same hand and is transcribed as JANE COCKIN but there is another entry that I've seen with the original signatures (from Yorkshire marriages Selby Abbey)  and I think the name could possibly be JAMES COCKIN rather than Jane.

For some reason I can't add a snippet to the post, but I'm happy to send it on if you like

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Claire

Thank you for that information that it might possibly be JAMES COCKIN, rather than JANE COCKIN on my image.

The other I have is from microfilm and although it appears to have original signatures, it was printed too light.

I'll check it out, at the Library.

Before George Hood got married to Sarah Russel at Selby in July 1815, he made a Marriage Intent / Allegation and Bond dated 16th May 1815 to the Selby Peculiar Court (not York) and was recorded as George Hood of Selby.

Regarding their Marriage at Selby, the brief newspaper entry also confirms he was a Cooper and says both of that place.

Although wife Sarah Russel and their children were baptised and in the Selby Parish Register, I suspect that George Hood was born to a dissenting family or born elsewhere, circa 1785 - 1787.

Kind regards, Mark

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

I've seen the marriage entry which you describe ( from the Bishops transcripts of St Mary's, Selby), and is written in the same hand and is transcribed as JANE COCKIN but there is another entry that I've seen with the original signatures (from Yorkshire marriages Selby Abbey)  and I think the name could possibly be JAMES COCKIN rather than Jane.

For some reason I can't add a snippet to the post, but I'm happy to send it on if you like

claire

I thought it was James not Jane as well
see
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752071.msg6005252#msg6005252

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 20:48 BST (UK) »
I suspect that George Hood was born to a dissenting family or born elsewhere, circa 1785 - 1787.

This is very tenuous, but there is an 1820 reference to a Joseph Cockin, Dissenting Minister:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i1j/

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 July 16 21:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jomot, have come across that chap Joseph and his brother John Cockin also a Dissenting Minister before.

Regarding James Cockin, witness at George Hood's 1815 Selby Marriage.

I found a James Cockin (aged 40 according to other very brief reports), in the York Herald 19th March 1836, making him about 19 years old in July 1815.

Sheep Stealing at Stainforth.-On
Thursday week, James Cockin and Joseph
Rowbottom, both of Stainforth, labourers, un-
derwent an examination before E. B. Dennison,
Esq, and W. B. Wrightson, Esq., at Doncaster
on a charge of stealing a sheep and some hempen
sacks, the property of Mr. John Bladworth of
the former place, a member of the Doncaster,
district association, on the 27th ult. ...

James Cockin was sent to York Castle to await his trial, but was later discharged.

Seems this Stainforth (in the newspaper) was near Hatfield, in the Thorne, Fishlake area, not too far from Doncaster?

One of George Hood's sons later married a lady, born Thorne.

Would James Cockin (above) be too young to have been a witness at the 1815 Selby wedding?

Regards Mark

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 July 16 21:40 BST (UK) »

Seems this Stainforth (in the newspaper) was near Hatfield, in the Thorne, Fishlake area, not too far from Doncaster?.........................................................................................

Hi,

Stainforth:-

8 miles from Doncaster,
2 miles from Thorne,
and less than 2 miles from Hatfield in one direction and Fishlake in the other.

Regards
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 October 16 17:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I have posted a new thread with image, as I believe the signature is likely James Cook, please see here ...

Perhaps you can post any comments here, thank you ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6068959#msg6068959