Author Topic: George Owen Henshaw 1837 - 1858  (Read 4390 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Owen Henshaw 1837 - 1858
« on: Wednesday 04 May 16 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hello There,
This may be a big long shot. But does anyone please have any information about which battalion or Regiment this person was in please? He was born in Heaton Norris, in 1837. His Father was William Henshaw, who co founded "The Stockport Lurry Works" with his Brother, Thomas. He joined the army and apparantely served in India. George died sometime in 1858, while sailing back on a ship called "Indomitable". I don't know if he died from wounds, or died from illness, or both .He was buried at sea, somewhere around the Cape of Good Hope. I tried looking up Army records for this person but unable to find anything. Any information would be gratefully accepted. :) ;).

Thank you very much.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Owen Henshaw 1837 - 1858
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 19:21 BST (UK) »
You might want to get this moved to the Armed Forces section as there are military experts on there.  :)
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 20:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  :)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 16 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There is a Memorial Inscription for George Owen at Christ Church, do you have the details from it ?
If not then contact Stockport Heritage Library they have the fiche which is number 18.
I'm sure they will look it up for you.
I'm not saying that it will help any but it must be worth a shot. :)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hkt/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 May 16 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I have e-mailed Stockport Local Heritage Library. Cheers. :)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 May 16 07:02 BST (UK) »
Your very welcome.  ;)
I'll be paying a visit to the Heritage Library in the next couple of weeks so if they don't come across with it.....and I think they will.... let me know and I will have a look for it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 May 16 10:53 BST (UK) »
Your very welcome.  ;)
I'll be paying a visit to the Heritage Library in the next couple of weeks so if they don't come across with it.....and I think they will.... let me know and I will have a look for it.
Thank you for that. I haven't heard back from the Heritage Library yet. If I don't hear back from them, I will let you know. It would just be nice to know if there is anything interesting on the memorial inscription. Cheers. :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 May 16 21:39 BST (UK) »
I found George on The 1851 Census via "Find My Past": He was down as a "Servant/ errand boy". He was working at 8, Deansgate, Manchester(I think it was number 8 anyway). The manager/ head of the premises was a Mr. Charles Hayward, 29 years of age and born in Derbyshire. His occupation was listed as a: "Druggist and Drysalter". Quite interesting anyway. :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 May 16 18:56 BST (UK) »
Your very welcome.  ;)
I have heard back from the Library now, thank you. The Memorial inscription states that he died on the 7th of July 1858. I found out from the "Armed Forces" section of Rootschat, that he was in The Royal Horse Artillery.George Henshaw was a; "Shoeing Smith" in The Royal Artillery, and enlisted in 1855.This made a lot of sense to me, due to the fact that his father was William Henshaw, and also a Blacksmith, at The Stockport Lurry Works. I also found out that George did die on a Ship called "Indomitable" and was probably buried at Sea, somewhere near the Cape of Good Hope. Thirteen other people also sadly died on the same voyage back to England. He was on his way back from India at the time. The Ship left Calcutta,India at the end of May, that year. It stopped off at the Island of St.Helena, sometime in August. The ship arrived in Plymouth, in early October.

Thank you very much. :)