Author Topic: George Owen Henshaw 1837 - 1858  (Read 4384 times)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Owen Henshaw 1837 - 1858
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 May 16 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
That's great, thanks for letting us know the outcome.
I'm pleased that you have now pieced it all together.

You said in a previous reply that you had found George on the 1851 census. Have you also found him with his parent's William and Elizabeth in the 1841 census. In case not, they have been transcribed as Henshall.
William's brother Thomas and his family are on the same page.

HO107 Folio 12 Page 16

I'm sure you have seen the photo of the beautiful pocket watch that was presented to William by the Oddfellows Society 1838.
Is it still within the family?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hmj/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 May 16 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rolnora
I was wandering where they were on the 1841 Census. I didn't know that they were transcribed as Henshall, or that Thomas and his family were on the same page. I am a descendant of Maria Henshaw, the Sister of George Owen Henshaw. Maria Married Samuel Pennington, one of my 3x Great Grandad's. He was an Earthenware dealer, and had a China shop in Stockport. Maria died in around 1884. So, as you may have guessed from the above, I am not myself a Henshaw, (or even a Pennington, by the way)but descended from them many generations back.
One of my Mums Cousins has done a lot of research into our Pennington and Henshaw side of family history. That was the main reason why I wanted to try and find out a little more myself, and because it is interesting really.  :)Also, the Ancestry of my own surname has been researched already, back to around 1650. And I became a lot more interested into researching the Henshaws around this time when I found out that one of my 4x Great Grandad's, William Henshaw, co-founded The Stockport Lurry Works, with his brother Thomas. William was a Blacksmith, and Thomas was a Wheelwright.      I think that regarding the Watch, Mum's Cousin found out that it went to one of Maria's Brothers, James Henshaw, first of all, and then to his son Charles William Henshaw. From there it went down, (I think) to Charles William's Grandson, or around that generation. I may be wrong, but I believe that it is now in The Stockport Heritage Library. My Mums Cousin June, went to see it there one day. I don't think it is on display there. She had to make an appointment to view it.Yes I have seen photos of the Watch and it is really lovely. My Mum's Cousin tried to find records of William at The Oddfellows Society, and why he may have been presented with the Watch, but could not find anything. They don't appear to have any records for that society. :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 May 16 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,
That's great, thanks for letting us know the outcome.
I'm pleased that you have now pieced it all together.

You said in a previous reply that you had found George on the 1851 census. Have you also found him with his parent's William and Elizabeth in the 1841 census. In case not, they have been transcribed as Henshall.
William's brother Thomas and his family are on the same page.

HO107 Folio 12 Page 16

I'm sure you have seen the photo of the beautiful pocket watch that was presented to William by the Oddfellows Society 1838.
Is it still within the family?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hmj/
I just looked at your link to the watch. William must have felt really honoured when they presented him with it! I also remembered after having looked at the link that he was presented with the Watch, for his service to the society. I found an e-mail from Stockport Museum, that I received from them after having inquired about the pocket watch, and if it was on display. This was before I knew that Mum's Cousin had seen it. The Museum responded back in the e-mail, from August last year, that they were planning to have the watch on display in the future, but will not happen for sometime yet, because they were fully focused on the Bramall Hall restoration.  ;)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 May 16 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I'm on the mailing list for the Museum so I will be looking out for that exhibition, I would love to see the pocket watch. :D
Stockport Heritage do have some records about the Oddfellows ....The Independent Order of Oddfellows 1850-1935... in their archives.
One of my distant ancestors was a member of the Oddfellows and I remember that it was from his obituary in the local newspaper and the write up they did that gave me the most information about him
They also have in their archives under Estate and Family, papers about the Henshaw family dated 1767-1947. Perhaps your Mums cousin read them when she visited.

I've also been reading Kay Browns account of the Henshaw/Brown Family which you may not have seen and which mentions William and Thomas.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hmn/ 

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 May 16 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I'm on the mailing list for the Museum so I will be looking out for that exhibition, I would love to see the pocket watch. :D
Stockport Heritage do have some records about the Oddfellows ....The Independent Order of Oddfellows 1850-1935... in their archives.
One of my distant ancestors was a member of the Oddfellows and I remember that it was from his obituary in the local newspaper and the write up they did that gave me the most information about him
They also have in their archives under Estate and Family, papers about the Henshaw family dated 1767-1947. Perhaps your Mums cousin read them when she visited.

I've also been reading Kay Browns account of the Henshaw/Brown Family which you may not have seen and which mentions William and Thomas.

Thanks again Rolnora. I've seen Kay Brown's account on the internet. That's quite interesting. I didn't know there were archives about the Oddfellows, at Stockport though.
 :DRegarding the Henshaw Estate and family papers you mentioned, I think Mum's Cousin read through these, but not too sure. I would be surprised if she didn't: Mum's Cousin got quite "in depth" into her research,haha! :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 May 16 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Hello again,
Just as a little side note to this (and I apologise for droning on). I can't find the burial record/ memorial inscription for Maria Pennington (nee Henshaw). She was born in 1845 and died in 1884, in Stockport at the home of her Brother James. Mum's Cousin told me she is mentioned on the Henshaw family Gravestone, at Christchurch Heaton Norris. But the print out that I received from Stockport Heritage Library does not mention her. :)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 May 16 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Well, Maria was definitely buried at Christ Church on the 8 Oct 1884 you can see the image of the burial on family search.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hmo/
I can't see anything on FindMyPast other than the death reg which has Stockport rather than Heaton Norris ???
Is it possible that she isn't buried with the Henshaw's but in a separate grave with the Pennington family.
Do you know when her husband died and where he is buried. 

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 May 16 12:24 BST (UK) »
If I have it right Maria's husband Samuel didn't die until 1919 so it's probable that Maria is buried with the rest of the Henshaw family.
You could email Stockport Heritage again and ask them to double check the gravestone. If you don't want to do that I could have a look next time I'm there.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 May 16 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Well, Maria was definitely buried at Christ Church on the 8 Oct 1884 you can see the image of the burial on family search.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hmo/
I can't see anything on FindMyPast other than the death reg which has Stockport rather than Heaton Norris ???
Is it possible that she isn't buried with the Henshaw's but in a separate grave with the Pennington family.
Do you know when her husband died and where he is buried.
Hello Rolnora,
Very sorry, family Search was the only place that I didn't look. The burial that you found on there was the right one for Maria. What puzzled me was that the Memorial Inscription sent to me from Stockport Library, did not show Maria on there: But then I looked into it, and it seems the set of inscriptions that they sent me, only went up to 1883: So Maria wouldn't have been included on that set of inscriptions anyway. I don't know why nothing shows up on Find My Past. But anyway yes, Maria Pennington was buried in the Henshaw family grave, at Heaton Norris on 08.10.1884. It seems to have been quite a crowded grave.

Thank you. :) ;)