Author Topic: Thomas Hos(s)mer or Thomas Wyatt?  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thomas Hos(s)mer or Thomas Wyatt?
« on: Thursday 05 May 16 05:51 BST (UK) »
I have 2 trees on line, tribal pages which I keep for certainties and ancestry.com for search and hints. Recently a lot of hints.  http://roy1939.tribalpages.com and. ROY1939A 24/9/2014 on ancestry
    I am certain about Susannah Johnson b. 1808 Yalding, Kent and traced back to Samuel Quinnell b. 1648 Rotherfield, Sussex. From there I follow his wife Mary Dray b.1646 and John Dray 1589. He married Alice Hosmer 1618. Rotherfield. Then back to Thomas Hossmer 1520 - 11 Apr 1554, Tower of London. ??
  One other tree on ancestry gives Thomas (Wyatt) Hosmer who was executed for Wyatt's rebellion.  Can this be authenticated ? Or have I an error somewhere?   Roy
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Mandy Donofrio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hos(s)mer or Thomas Wyatt?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 18 00:41 BST (UK) »
I have also run into the same Hosmer to Wyatt name change. The info in Wiki shows info for Sir Thomas Wyatt, the poet. All details including dates, marriage, location and children coincide with what I have from ancestry. Why the change in name? I have other family branches where the name has changed over the decades, usually spelling variations, but so far this is the most radical change and the most puzzling. RootsWeb doesn't list anyone by the name Hosmer or Hossmer but there are the Wyatt's in queston. Any thoughts on this?

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 May 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
I have no idea why there is a complete name change. I have followed what I found on ancestry.com and have no reason to suspect any error. But to get to Hosmer in Sussex then suddenly find Thomas Hosmer 1485- 1542 was Thomas Wyatt is indeed baffling. Looking on line for Thomas Hosmer has not produced anything positive and I am reluctant to add Wyatts to my tree.
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 May 18 08:48 BST (UK) »
Unless you can access original documents, or transcripts of, I wouldn't be putting much store in Ancestry, Wiki, or Rootsweb. Have you looked for wills or other legal documents that might help you?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Mandy Donofrio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 May 18 09:56 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately any existing records for Hosmer/Wyatt are in England. I live on the West Coast of Canada. So, accessing original documents is out of the question. I have spent all day doing extensive research looking everywhere I could think of, trying different name combinations etc. As I cannot confirm that Hosmer/Wyatt are one in the same I have removed all references to Wyatt and family in my tree, which means my Hosmers are now a dead end. However, I would rather do that than have people attached to my tree who are not my ancestors. Thank you for the reply.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 May 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
I can't see a will in the PCC collection for Thomas Hosmer. Have you checked the Sussex archives for a will, or any other documents relating to him? In the National Archives there is a document mentioning a William Hosmer of Sussex, grandson of Thomas Hosmer and "bastard son of John Hosmer".
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline MartinGM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 April 21 22:00 BST (UK) »
This Hosmer/Wyatt confusion is simply an error.
It seems to have come from an erroneous document and, as these things often are, has been copied around without checking until it has become widespread.
There even seems to be a confusion between the Thomas of the Wyatt rebellion and another Thomas Wyatt.
If you read Thomas Wyatt's life story alongside such documents as exist about the various Thomas Hosmers of Rotherfield (wills etc) you can see that these two Thomas's cannot be connected.
Hope this helps.

Offline MartinGM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 April 21 22:05 BST (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Wyatt_the_Younger#Marriage_and_issue

PS The Sussex Family History Group has some relevant Hosmer wills.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire