Author Topic: Parish of Castleton  (Read 24567 times)

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Parish of Castleton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 January 06 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue, got this from my copy of the 1841 Castleton census, living at Bellshiels. Gideon Elliot aged 48, ag lab, Agnes Anderson aged 46, Mary Elliot aged 11, Agnus Elliot aged 8, Ann Elliot aged 5, Jennet Elliot aged 2, Jane Grieve aged 80, widow and pauper and Robert Turnbull aged 2.

Hope this helps
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 January 06 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, have been on the IGI and found some baptisms for you, firstly a submitted record of a Gideon Elliot baptised 1793 of Brighouse, Castleton. I have also found 2 Jane Grieve's, the first one was baptised 15 Nov 1761 in Hawick, parents William Grieve and Jane Ruecastle, this Jane had siblings:- Walter, baptised 23 Dec 1763 in Hawick, John Grieve baptised 4 Nov 1766 in Hawick, another Walter baptised 22 Jun 1770 in Hawick and Ann Grieve baptised 1 Oct 1772 in Hawick. The second Jane, baptised 1762, is another submitted record and this Jane's parents were Walter Grieve and Kathrine Ogilvie.

Hope this helps
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 January 06 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, also a Jane Grieve and Robert Anderson married 15 Nov 1789, Cavers. Couldn't find a suitable baptism for Agnes on the IGI though, sorry.
Minto, - Durham
Huess - Somerset

Offline suegill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 January 06 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Clare and Kena.

The MI is definately my family - How Donald got to Castleton I have no idea.

I've got a copy of Donald and Janets death certificates from Scotland People and he was born in Avoch.

Once again many thanks,
Sue
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Alker - Aspull, Hindley
Marsh - Atherton
Blain - Atherton
Gill - Atherton
Hogg - Loscoe, Crich
Harrison - Heanor, Ruddington
Earnshaw - Heanor
Cope - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley
Daykin - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley

Offline lesley084

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 January 06 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clare,

I know you are researching Elliots in Castleton and I was wondering if this was one of yours?

Helen Elliot born aug 1741
 Father Frances,   Mother Isabel Murray.

The reason for asking is I have a Helen Elliot born c1841 who married Walter Amos 4/12/1768 Hobkirk Just over the hill from Castleton. I would like to know who her parents were. when I checked IGI this was the only one I came up with for that date.

Thanks Lesley.
amos,scott, armstrong, hume.

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 January 06 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

She isn't one of mine yet  :) but I do keep finding more and more!  However, I am not that far back in my research yet - I am stuck at around 1810 at the moment.

You might have issues finding out Helen's parent's though, if she was born in Castleton, as the Castleton OPRs only go back to 1749 (see topic http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,110740.0.html)

I will keep digging though and see what I can find in my travels  ;D

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline bungleina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 November 09 19:03 GMT (UK) »
It looks like we have some connection, although it looks like this family may be quite complex. Any info to share would be appreciated.
My gg grandfather was Robert Anderson Turnbull born Castleton about 1839. I have his marriage certificate to Margaret Gunn Polson (Born 1850 Latheron Caithness) marriage 12 Jan 1875 Hawick
Marriage certificate shows his mother as Elisabeth Young nee Elliot born Castleton 1821 (no fathers information on marriage certificate)
Elisabeth married Robert Young 19 Apr 1852 Oxnam.
So far I have been unable to trace a birth certificate for Robert but his marriage certificate states his name as Robert Anderson Turnbull or Elliot
1841 census shows Robert living with grandparents Gideon Elliot and Agnes Anderson
1851 shows Robert (shown as Grandson)
living with Isabella Lillico
Margaret Anderson 1775 born Castleton
Helen Elliot 1829  born Castleton
Cheers,
 Lynn
Crampton and Gelder of Linconshire and Yorkshire.
Merrell Boulton Ellis of York and Leeds
Turnbull and Elliot Roxburgh Scotland
Hopton, Stringer, Sefton, Booth and Verity of Yorkshire

Offline david669

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 March 10 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for information on the family thomson from the parish of Castelton. they emmigrated from castelton around 1830-32 I have letters from the parish elders stating they are of productive and moral charactor The Thomson's that I speak of settled in the northeasthope township of the county of perth in the province of Ontario. the earliest physical evidence I can define is that of an Adam Thomson born about 1768 presumably born in Castelton Parish they were stone masons and farmers i have a few documents from before the move and a multitude after the fact .I have lists of births and deaths from a # of people and families whom had settled in the lower canada tract  nobody particular to me but that I recall the names from my youth It would seem that Elizabeth Thomson was knowledgable and familiar with a great many people of that time.I will try to input some of this material if somebody could suggest where they would like to see it.I am far from cumputer savey and these documents are extremely delicate.
Take care and hope to hear from you soon
David

Offline susandun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 September 11 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello, does anyone have any info on John Blacklock Elliot, son of Robert Elliot of Powisholm Castleton and Esther Elliot, b 1829? There are some suggestions on the web that he died in 1848 but I can't find any sources to confirm that. Robert died in 1865 and his will does not include his son John so he may well have died young but just maybe he was still alive but had been "disowned" because his parents did not approve of his marriage. His brother Robert was certainly involved in the temperance movement so maybe the family were pretty straight laced?

Otherwise if he did die in 1848 does anyone have any info on other candidates to be the John E who married Mary Jane Scott at Gretna (an irregular marriage) in Dec 1858? She had an illegitimate son in Feb 1857 who may or may not have been John's and they had several other children after their marriage. John's death cert in 1915 gives only his father's name (Robert). John and Mary Jane had at least 8 children but no Robert though all the other expected names are there - maybe another indication of a family falling-out.

Thanks a lot of for any help anyone can give!

Susan