Author Topic: Llansantffraed: David Watkines Memorial dated 1613 in the Church of St Ffraid  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Hi,
I am researching the Madoc (Maddox) family of Scethrog and came across an account of some monuments found in the Church: The account on the web;

https://sites.google.com/site/maddoxfamilywebsite/maddox-wales/maddox-tours-south-wales reads as follows:

"We were looking for evidence of Samuel Maddox's father, John Maddox.  We found one left in the doorway behind the organ.  It said Thomas Maddock, 1618.   Surely an ancestor but we don't know which one, or what relationship.  And a thrill, under the carpet behind the organ...a Madoc, 1607.  We put some water on the faded words to bring them out so we could read them.  Notice in the photo of a wall in this church, a few lines from the top, "Gwladis, married Thomas Maddock, Lord of Scethrock".

The web site includes a photo of the monument on the wall of the Church, I have attached it with this request.

I would really appreciate having confirmation that these monuments still exist, and if possible some photos or transcriptions of their inscriptions.

The objective is to see if there are links between the Madocs of Llanfrynach , Guilsfield, St. Tysilio at Meifod, and North Wales

Note: Theophilus Jones

Gives pedigree:

Games and Vaughan to Gwrgan ap Llewelyn ap Moreiddig Warwyn, mc.usive, who m. a d. Sir Miles Pitcher, knight.

Howel ap Gwrgan m. Cissil, d. Sir Humphiey Burchill.

Trahaern dal, second son, m. Jane d. Philip Walbieffe.

Trahaern fychan m. Anne d. Sir Watkin Scull, ut alii, a d. Watkin Gunter.

Madoc m. Elinor d. Richard Bois. Thomas ddu m. and had issue.

Trahaern m. Lysod, d. David Powel Ychan ap Howel ap Einon Sais.

Madoc m. Joan d. John Awbrey hir.

Howel m. a d. Owen Griffith ap Evan Gethin.

John Powel Madoc of Maesmawr m. Mallt d. Sir Howel y Bwlch.

Thomas Maddocks m. a d. Jn. Madoc. Llewelyn m. and had issue.

Thomas Maddocks, lord of Llanfrynach, m. a d. Jenkin Morgan. A. p. II.

For now, I would like more information from the Church Memorials!!!!!

Please help! All suggestions will be appreciated

:) :) :) :) :)

Llanfi

Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser