Author Topic: German families immigrating to Australia late 1800s/ early 1900s  (Read 3820 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: German families immigrating to Australia late 1800s/ early 1900s
« Reply #27 on: Monday 09 May 16 04:14 BST (UK) »
May I support Cando's comments about unmarked graves.   

Yes, many graves have no headstones or markers, but that does not mean the person is forgotten or overlooked in any way.   It may be that at the time there were other pressing needs on the family funds, or perhaps a marker has been there but is no longer there, or perhaps she did not want a marker and the family have respected her request .... or many other reasons may come to your thoughts.    But, there is obviously a record held by the cemetery as the details have been transcribed and if you click on his name you will see that he has spent many volunteer times taking photos, collecting details and uploading them to that particular website. 

You do not need to divert your attention away and be concerned for your mother in law.  Perhaps you may be able to think about if you need to actually inform her that there may not be a recognised marker.   Perhaps you may have spare funds to consider funding a marker, but do remember these can be an expense that the deceased may have asked not to be incurred, so please do not make yourself ill with worry.  That is not a good outcome for budding family history buffs.  If you do need to inform your mother in law, perhaps you could collate other information about her mum as well, so that it is not a stand alone stark fact, and so she can come to learn about it in a gentle way. 

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 09 May 16 04:29 BST (UK) »
The Manning-Wallamba Family History Society printed a book in 1989 listing all the graves (including unmarked, in theory anyway) in Krambach. I'll see if I can get a copy via intra-library loan, and if that does not work, I might contact the MWFHS directly to see if they can look up the record for me.
It should not matter if her grave is unmarked. It just threw me, because I know my mother-in-law never got to know her.

I **think** that Henrich Conrad SCHROEDER immigrated to Vic in 1903 on the "Karlsruhe"
Their sister, Sophie Marguerite SCHROEDER had immigrated to SA in 1902 on the "Weimar"
(I have naturalization records for both which confirm this)

There is a sister Helena Anna Theia SCHROEDER born 1882 in Bruchhausen, Germany, who died Helen Ann Theia BOETTCHER in 1856 in Victoria. No clue when she immigrated.

A third sister, Adele Wilhelmine SCHROEDER was also born in Bruchhausen, Germany in 1883. She married Heinrich Ernest August RASCHE in 1914 in South Australia, so I am thinking she **may** have immigrated with Freiderich and Adeline in 1913.

I also read a rambling blog that suggests that when Freidrich and Adeline left Germany, they left behind their 4 year old daughter, Marie Dorothea Adeline SCHROEDER, in the care of Freidrich's brother Willhelm and his wife Sophie.... though I have found no evidence that Willhelm and Sophie SCHROEDER exist, and Friedrich's sister Sophie immigrated before him in 1902. The daughter, Marie Dorothea Adeline SCHROEDER was said to follow her parents to Australia around 1923.

There was a suggestion that she married in Victoria in 1929 (to Frederick Melbourne CHAPMAN), but have not found a wedding record or a death certificate for her to confirm the name of her parents.

Adeline's mother was listed as Maire WOLFF on her death record, and I think she has three brothers
Karl RUBEKAMP (1891–1917 died in France), Wilhelm RUBEKAMP 1895–?? and Johaan RUBEKAMP 1897–??. (I also suspect that ü was translated into something other than a U when she arrived in Austarlia, hence my inability to find out anything about her family). But I know she lived, so I am too worried about the rest of it right now.

If you have read my ramblings to here, thank you :)
HOWARD, LE JUGE, SCHROEDER all Australian

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 May 16 05:09 BST (UK) »
I also read a rambling blog that suggests that when Freidrich and Adeline left Germany hey left behind their 4 year old daughter, Marie Dorothea Adeline SCHROEDER

Would you like to share the url :)

Are you looking at public online trees?

Marie's name is Mariechen according to the Marriage index

Marriage in Victoria
SCHROEDER Mariechen Dorothea Adeline
CHAPMAN Frederick Melbourne
1929  Reg#3696

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 09 May 16 05:27 BST (UK) »
Unassisted Immigrants arriving Victoria
http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=23
SCHRODER    Mr Heinr  18 years  arrived May 1903 on the KARLSRUHE  Port F [Foreign] 365/002

Cando

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 09 May 16 05:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the Marriage info!

This is the chat that suggested Mariechen was left behind by her parents:
http://boards.ancestry.de/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=3212&p=stellen.europa.deutschland.bremen
Don't worry about the German look, if you scroll down it is in English.

I have also found "suggestions" here and there by scanning around this family tree:
http://mfo.me.uk/familygroup.php?familyID=F1414&tree=E1#cite1

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 09 May 16 06:50 BST (UK) »
Its actually a board/forum like rootschat where people post requests...it is not a chat room.

Her marriage certificate would give the names of her parents.  I would also mention here that comments/stories about people are often difficult to verify.  All we can do is find the facts.  Stories become distorted over the years.

Cando  :)

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 07:13 BST (UK) »
Its actually a board/forum like rootschat where people post requests...it is not a chat room.

Her marriage certificate would give the names of her parents.  I would also mention here that comments/stories about people are often difficult to verify.  All we can do is find the facts.  Stories become distorted over the years.

Cando  :)

I know, I am clutching at straws  :D
But I will get there  ;)

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 09 July 16 11:28 BST (UK) »
Well, it certainly seems that the "story" of Friedrich and Adeline immigrating to Australia in 1913 and leaving oldest daughter Mariechen in Germany was WRONG.  ;D

The National Archives has scanned in the naturalization records of Friedrich Heinrich SCHROEDER here: http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=1771992&isAv=N
And it appears that he immigrated to Australia in 1907 (the year before Mariechen was born) on the Bremen, arriving in Melbourne on 18 November. In the application (filled out in July 1914) he declares that he is living with his wife and only child, a daughter, and has been in Australia for 6 years and 7 months.

I don't know if Mariechen was born in Australia or Germany, and I do not know if Friedrich and Adeline married in Germany or in South Australia in 1913, but I DO know how he got here, and THAT MAKES ME HAPPY :)

Thanks,
Tracey

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 09 July 16 14:29 BST (UK) »
I think you need to check the information is accurate. There would have been many applications to naturalize in c1914 and why is the first date of arrival crossed out.
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/NAAMedia/ShowImage.aspx?B=1771992&S=2&T=P

His name does not appear on the manifest of the BREMEN which arrived at Melbourne in Nov 1907.  These are the only SCHRODER/SCHROEDER's's on the list....and I've included all the SCHRODER's that arrived Melbourne in 1907.  Perhaps some confusion with other SCHRODER family who arrived in that year.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hyn/

I do not know if Friedrich and Adeline married in Germany or in South Australia in 1913

Well who is this getting married in SA in 1913 ::)  I knew their first born son and his wife is living.

SCHROEDER Friedrich Heinrich 28 years  Status Single  Father Wilhelm SCHROEDER
RUBEKAMP Adeline Louise Dorothea  27 years  Status Single  Father Fritz RUBEKAMP
10 Nov 1913
At the residence of Rev F W Basedow, North Unley   Ade S 257/446

I suggest you purchase an image of this marriage certificate which will include the age and place of birth of the bride.

Marriage in Victoria
SCHROEDER Mariechen Dorothea Adeline
CHAPMAN Frederick Melbourne
1929  Reg#3696

From what appears to be a well researched online tree.

Birth 1908  Vilsen, Ostallgau, Bayern, Germany

Her cremation record at Springvale in Nov 1991, aged 83 years so born c1908
http://smct.org.au/deceasedsearch/result/567754

Cando