Author Topic: Scottish Record Office  (Read 1495 times)

Offline tulipoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish Record Office
« on: Friday 06 May 16 09:51 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone who attends the records office fairly regularly who might be

wililng to undertake some straightforward searching and obtain a copy marriage certificate.

I have the relevant details and am prepared to pay in advance.

Please send me a PM.

Many thanks,

ian Fowler

I

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Record Office
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 May 16 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian have you tried www.scotlandspeople.gov marriage images are available from 1855.1939 anything after that you can order the extract
Rosie

Offline tulipoo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 May 16 10:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie17
I have an extract of the marriage certificate, but I need a "proper copy" and s ome
other little searches done.  I need the copy to show the "real signatures.
I have now heard from someone who will probably undertake this for me.
Thanks again,
Best wishes,
Ian

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 May 16 11:21 BST (UK) »
That's good news then good luck with your research
Rosie :)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 May 16 17:36 BST (UK) »
I am rather puzzled by this. If you already have an image of the marriage certificate from Scotland's People, what more are you expecting your helper to find for you?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 May 16 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie17
I have an extract of the marriage certificate, but I need a "proper copy" and s ome
other little searches done.  I need the copy to show the "real signatures.
I have now heard from someone who will probably undertake this for me.
Thanks again,
Best wishes,
Ian

An "extract" IS a "proper copy". My birth certificate, provided when I was born, is headed "Extract" because it's an extract from the Register of Births. If you already have an extract then it would be a waste of someone's time to travel to GROS to get the same extract again and a waste of your money. If, on the other hand, what you actually have is a printed image from Scotlandspeople (ie GROS) then you can use that site to order an extract to be sent to you by post. However, unless I have misunderstood there seems a risk of you ending up with two of the same thing and , as, Forfarian has pointed out, it appears you already have all the information this record can provide.

Imber

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 May 16 08:49 BST (UK) »
I think you might be wanting a copy of the original image from the parish register (which they will have signed themselves), which is not the same as a legal marriage certificate which is a transcription.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 May 16 09:55 BST (UK) »
I notice that Ian has not said the date of the marriage in question.

If it was before 1855, the parish register will not contain the signatures of the couple. In any case, you could download an image of the original entry at home so there is no need to go to an SP centre to view it.

If it was after 1854, as Imber has said, you will not get anything extra by going to the NRS if you already have an Extract.

If the couple were married after 1854, they may or may not have signed their names in a parish register. Never having seen such a register, I do not know. But if that is what you are hoping to see, the NRS is not where you will find it. You would have to track down the register of the church whose minister performed the ceremony. The GROS had no power to call in Church of Scotland parish registers after 1 January 1855, or to call in the registers of other denominations (Free and dissenting churches, Episcopal Church, Roman Catholic Church) at any time.

If the marriage was less than 75 years ago, you are not allowed to photocopy, photograph or save to a memory stick the image of the marriage certificate, so even if the certificate had the couple's original signatures, your helper would have no means of showing them to you.

My understanding of the process of registration is that the couple obtained from the Registrar a Schedule of Marriage. They, the witnesses and the minister completed and signed the Schedule and returned it within three days of the marriage to the Registrar. The Registrar then copied the details from the Schedule into a pair of duplicate Registers. At the end of the year he sent one Register to the GROS in Edinburgh, and retained the duplicate. The Register sent to Edinburgh is the source of the images on SP.

If you need what is generally referred to as a marriage certificate, you can apply either to the NRS or to the local Registrar, and what you will get will be a document with the formal title 'Extract Entry of Marriage'. They are usually typed these days, though before the advent of typewriters they were of course handwritten. (I don't think I have actually ever seen an 'Extract Entry of Marriage' as my parents' wedding was not in Scotland and I don't have any older ones.)

The Schedules of Marriage were also sent to Edinburgh, but I do not know whether or where they were stored, and if so for how long. As far as I know they are not available for research, but I would be happy to be corrected on that point if someone knows better than I do.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 May 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
If the marriage was less than 75 years ago, you are not allowed to photocopy, photograph or save to a memory stick the image of the marriage certificate, so even if the certificate had the couple's original signatures, your helper would have no means of showing them to you.

Regardless of the date, you are currently not allowed to save to a memory stick at the ScotlandsPeople Centre after the recent computer problems there. Printouts are allowed within the permitted dates.

GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland