Author Topic: Scottish Record Office  (Read 1494 times)

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Record Office
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 May 16 17:17 BST (UK) »
Whilst we're on the subject of Scottish marriages (sorry to hijack your topic Ian).  Would I be able to get a copy of a marriage licence (Catholic) from 1962 and, if so, what information would it contain?
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 May 16 18:22 BST (UK) »
You would be able to get a copy of the Extract of Marriage (commonly referred to as the marriage certificate) but you would have to order a copy as it's after the cut-off date for viewing online. The religious denomination makes no difference.

As for the information contained, see http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&628

I do not know anything about marriage licences. Not even whether or not they formed part of the process of marriage in Scotland in 1962.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 May 16 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian.  I've seen the marriage certificate, but I know that my grandad & his fiancée had to get a licence, presumably because the bride wasn't Catholic.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian.  I've seen the marriage certificate, but I know that my grandad & his fiancée had to get a licence, presumably because the bride wasn't Catholic.

That, then, must have been something to do with the internal procedures of the RC church, nothing to do with civil registration, and unlikely to be in the National Records of Scotland. You presumably know from the Extract of Marriage the name of the priest who performed the ceremony, and which church he was incumbent at. Try asking the office of whichever RC diocese that church is in.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 21:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I'll look into that.