Author Topic: Looking for the grave of Elizabeth Ashforth, d.1858, Yorkshire  (Read 1450 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Looking for the grave of Elizabeth Ashforth, d.1858, Yorkshire
« on: Friday 06 May 16 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm hoping this is on the right discussion section - I was wondering whether to just put it on the Yorkshire West Riding board, but I've opted for this one.

I'm currently in search of the grave of Elizabeth Ashforth (her maiden name was Wild). She was married to Abraham Ashforth of Chapeltown, Yorkshire. I believe she passed away in 1858 (in the Oct-Nov-Dec quarter), and was born between 1810-1816 (I do not know the exact year, but she was from Butterley in Derbyshire).
If anyone has access to records which list her burial, I'd be very grateful to find out where she is buried (I'd like to visit her grave if possible).

Many thanks,
Holly

Edited to add: I might as well mention another grave (which is probably in the Chapeltown area) that I'm looking for - the burial place and date of Harriet Ashforth, wife of Elijah Thomas Ashforth (sometimes just known as Thomas Ashforth). She lived in Chapeltown, and passed away in the Jul-Aug-Sep quarter of 1931. Harriet's maiden name was Beech, and she was raised at Tankersley.
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the grave of Elizabeth Ashforth, d.1858, Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 May 16 22:22 BST (UK) »
Just to add: the Harriet Ashforth that I mentioned above was born about 1854 in Tankersley - the daughter of (I think) William Beech and Sarah.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 05:16 BST (UK) »
Hi the Elizabeth Ashforth death in Dec qtr 1858 Wortley was not your Elizabeth but the wife of Joe on the 1851 census HO107/2335/283/8, Elizabeth b Butterley, Derbyshire was b c 1810 in 1851.

Burial Elizabeth Ashforth 28th November 1858 Sheffield, St Mary, Ecclesfield abode Chapel Town aged 39

I see Abraham has remarried in 1860, so I can see why you believed this was possibly Elizabeth.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi the Elizabeth Ashforth death in Dec qtr 1858 Wortley was not your Elizabeth but the wife of Joe on the 1851 census HO107/2335/283/8, Elizabeth b Butterley, Derbyshire was b c 1810 in 1851.

Burial Elizabeth Ashforth 28th November 1858 Sheffield, St Mary, Ecclesfield abode Chapel Town aged 39

I see Abraham has remarried in 1860, so I can see why you believed this was possibly Elizabeth.
Keyboard86

Hi there, and thank you for the reply.
Having known that Elizabeth's children (with Abraham) were living with Abraham and his new wife Harriet in 1861, I presumed that Elizabeth had died sometime between the 1851 and 1861 census - and that was the only death index record I could find that was appropriate. So that's thrown a bit of a spanner in the works! But thank you for correcting me before I continued it further.

Holly