Author Topic: Comrie Wedding Photographs - A very long shot  (Read 547 times)

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Comrie Wedding Photographs - A very long shot
« on: Friday 06 May 16 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is anywhere to go or anyone to ask about possible wedding photographs that may have been taken at or outside the Registry office in Comrie on 21st October 1942.

My Dad and his family were evacuated to Comrie during World War 2 (a private evacuation - they stayed at 1 Burrell Street which was convenient as they were Burrell's!! I believe number 1 was called Ainslie Cottage then) and his Sister Doreen Burrell married a Bernard William Todd who was serving in the Buffs at the time and stationed at Comrie.

Later, in 1944, the my fathers mother, 2 sisters (including Doreen), niece and Grandmother all died when a V2 landed in their street. Dad and his father survived this but, of course, everything was lost including all photos.

I thought I would post this in the (probably) vain hope that they may have had photos taken on the day by someone from the town and there might be copies somewhere (well, if I don't ask I definitely won't find any!!).

Comrie has always had a special place in our hearts since - Dad took his wife on Honeymoon there in 1951 and then we went there on Holidays as a family more or less yearly from 1960's through to mid-1970's (when I was too old to want to go with my parents!!). I still remember going round to Miss Short and/or Mrs Cuthbert for afternoon tea - I always looked forward to it as they were lovely old ladies to talk to (and I still have the 1930's copy of Sherlock Holmes Short stories that Miss Short gave me). I have since visited twice - both for weddings, a friends in Glasgow and another friends in Edinburgh and both times had to visit Comrie to see Devils Cauldron and the special place on the Rannoch that my Dad always took me to fish). The second time was with my wife and (then) 2 month old daughter, Kayleigh in 1999 and my wife still talks about this as she walked Kayleigh around the town in her pram and several people came up and dropped money into the pram for Kayleigh - a very old custom that has long ceased to occur in England (at least where I come from). Anyway enough rambling, must be the wine:0)
Burrell - Mainly London area
Wallace - North-East England
Starling - London, Cambridge & Suffolk
Park - London, Derbyshire & Lancashire