Author Topic: James Crosbie  (Read 503 times)

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Crosbie
« on: Saturday 07 May 16 12:31 BST (UK) »
I am trying to flesh out some details on my 3x ggrandfather. He was born @1806 in Westmeath Ireland. A previous query provided info that he was likely the son of Thomas Crosby/Crosbie and Bridget (nee Flannighan ) of Coole Turbotstown ( Thanks to RC!)
I know that he served with the Hon Artillery Co in India - I have seen the records in Lord Clives Military Fund. I also have details of his marriage and children to save any uneccessary searches.

I have surmised (from the pension records) that as he became a pensioner in 1843, at age 38- and was eligible due to long service - 22yrs and 7 months, he must have joined around aged 15/16 in the early 1820's.
I would love to find out where he enlisted, whether he joined the regular army or was directly recruited to the East India company army, and if there are likely to be any attestation papers available. I have traced possible embarkation papers in the British Library but can't visit at the moment (and have no idea if he would be in them!)
Any ideas welcomed!
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Crosbie
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 16 13:18 BST (UK) »
Have you checked FIBIS.org? (Families in British India Society)

Scroll down the home page, and click on FIBIS Database.
Then, from the menu on the left, select "Find a person".
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 16 14:01 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks. Unfortunately they don't have anything relevant - that I can find anyway!
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 17 16:55 BST (UK) »
Update for anyone interested ! FiBIS have this year added some more transcribed records including Registers of Bengal Army European Soldiers 1790-1839 A - K .Lucky for me that it includes my James Crosbie, who enlisted in 1820 at age 14, arriving in India in 1821. Never stop looking, there is always something new around the corner!