Author Topic: McAloney Family of Coleraine  (Read 7900 times)

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
McAloney Family of Coleraine
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 May 16 11:31 BST (UK) »
Continuation #1

Andrew of 'my' family is not found on any of the census even considering the vast array of surname spelling variations McAloney, McAlony, McAlaney, McAleney, McAloaney, McIloney, McAlhoney, and so on with the Mac prefix.  The Irish records are lacking a traditional soundex variant for searching, which, in the case of this surname would be of enormous assistance. 

Next, "Eliza McAloney (spinster) of Brook Street Coleraine married an Archibald Hamill".  The census indicates that this woman was born in Co. Antrim.  There appears to be only one Eliza McAloney born in Co. Antrim around the 1869 mark and that is Eliza McAloney born 22 July 1866 at Portglenone, Antrim.  Her parents were James McAloney and Eliza Jane Simpson.  Again, the commonness of names is at the ready to trip up the unsuspecting researcher.  The 1911 census for the Hamill family, including James McAloney, again states that James McAloney was born in Co. Antrim and was 70 years old.  Here we have a candidate for the James McAloney who died 1 year later at aged 70 years.  And, in fact, Gaffy has kindly added the death details: "The closest official "fit" I can find for a death for Lizzie Hamill's father James McAloney in the 1911 census return is one recorded in Ballymoney General Hospital on 5 February 1912, a male 70 year old widower, labourer, from Crocknamack (Portrush), who died after 9 months of a stroke."  So, I am fairly confident that the James of the 1912 death is not the James belonging to Andrew in 1901 and neither of those two James is James father of 'my' Robert McAloney.

In closing I would add that I now have the marriage certificate of 'my' James McAloney to Mary Ann Carson.  They married in Killowen, Coleraine 17 Nov 1861 with the particulars being:

1861. Marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of Killowin, in the County of Londonderry. No. 82.
When Married: November 17, 1861
Groom's Particulars: James McAlony, age 21, Condition: Batchelor, Rank or Profession:  labourer,
Residence at the Time of Marriage:  Long Common in Coleraine Parish.
Father's Name and Surname:  William McAlony
Rank or Profession of Father:  labourer

Bride's Particulars:
Name and Surname: Mary Anne Carson, age:  21, Condition:  Spinster, Rank or Profession:  blank, Residence at the Time of Marriage: Lauril? Hill in Killowin Parish.
Father's Name and Surname:  Andrew Carson
Rank or Profession of Father:  labourer

Married in the Church of Killowin according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the United Church of England and  Ireland by Licence by me,  [initial illegible] Sillits
This Marriage was solemnized between us, James [his mark] McAlony
Mary Anne [her mark] Carson
in the presence of John Crossley, Muriel? Lynn

So, I now have 'my' James McAloney's father's name - William.  William died "
#499, seventeenth August 1867, Rat Row, Coleraine, William McAloney, male, married, 60 years, weaver, chronic hepatitis, three years uncertified, no medical attendant, Mary Jane McAloney her mark present at the death, Rat Row, Coleraine, registered thirtieth August 1867, Richard L. M'Intire, Registrar"

This Mary Jane McAloney was nee LEIGHTON and was William's second marriage which took place at Dunboe, Coleraine - a lucky break as that marriage certificate provided William's father's name and occupation - Robert McAloney, a farmer.  I have found no children attributed to the second marriage of William McAloney.  But, believe that there was another son born during his first marriage to an unknown woman.  That son is believed to be another William McAloney born about 1829.  As the information concerning the earliest Robert McAloney, the farmer, is so new, I have not had an opportunity to yet delve into his family's composition.

My main concern at this point is attempting to locate the living in the hopes that someone somewhere has a diary, letters, family Bible, et cetera.

I hope I have covered all of the points.  But if I have missed something please let me know. 

Many thanks for taking an interest in this puzzle and investing your time and energies into helping solve it.  I appreciate it greatly.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McAloney Family of Coleraine
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 May 16 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting the additional details and clearing up some things but it helps if you post what you know at the start. I did come across other now apparently relevant bits the other day which I didn't post  :-\

Recap of the children-
William to Scotland & England
? Annie Margaret c1865-1871
   death 1871? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRT8-3J8
Robert John born 27 Dec.1867 died 13 Sep 1874
son born 1 Feb.1870 died 3 Feb 1870
Annie Margaret born 20 Nov.1870 died 26 Dec 1870
Andrew born 24 Oct.1871 died 29 Oct.1871
James born 13 Sept.1872
Robert born 20 May 1875 died 1961 Ontario
Andrew born 14 Dec.1877
Matilda born 15 Aug.1880

Name and Surname: Mary Anne Carson, age:  21, Condition:  Spinster, Rank or Profession:  blank, Residence at the Time of Marriage: Lauril? Hill in Killowin Parish.
Laurel Hill, Killowen Parish

Married in the Church of Killowin according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the United Church of England and  Ireland by Licence by me,  [initial illegible] Sillits
Alexander Sillito

Since Coleraine was/is on the Londonderry/Antrim border it's very common to find people moving from one to the other and often one census they give one county as birthplace then in other census the other county.

Will continue with Andrew McAloney & Jane Quinn in next post...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 May 16 22:20 BST (UK) »
Andrew Gilmour (30 Nov.1868 Co.Derry-1947 Carthall, Coleraine), son of Andrew Gilmour & Mary Anne Black, m.(12 July 1890 Coleraine) Ellen Campbell, m.(19 Sept.1899 Coleraine) Mary Quinn (c1873 Co.Antrim-aft.1911).
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Ballymoney__Urban__and_Ballymoney_Urban_District/Meetinghouse_Street/1009077
In 1911 her sister Jane McAloney (nee Quinn) is living in the household with her 2 children, Andrew & Jeanie-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/Circular_Road/589422

Ages and relationships in 1911 census are misleading. The 'nephew' James Campbell Gilmour is here with Andrew's brother in 1901- George B. Gilmour supposed to be married to Emily Campbell although I haven't found a marriage yet-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Ballylagan/Craignahorn/1521818

Andrew McAloney is here in 1901 but Jane McAloney is a widow in 1911 so he likely died between Jeanie's birth & March 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Portrush_Urban/Causeway_Street/932048

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 09:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Aghadowey, for clarification on Laurel Hill and the name of the officiant Mr. Sillito.  I appreciate having the details correct.

I also appreciate how close Coleraine was to Ballymoney and the county border.  Cross-border drift was commonplace throughout the UK.  However, I'm not, now, nor have I been in the past, convinced that Andrew McAloney in Ballymoney is the Andrew of 'my' McAloney family.  There are at least two distinct James McAloney's that seem to have been in situ in Co. Antrim having families.

The last known place of residence in Ireland for my Robert McAloney was 27 Arundel Street, Belfast.  This comes from his marriage to his first wife, Elizabeth McColl, to wit:

1898 Marriage solemnized at St. Anne's in the Parish of Belfast, in the Diocese of Connor.
#86, 28 December 1898, Robert McIloney, 24, bachelor, carpenter, residing at 27 Arundel Street, Belfast, father James McAloney, posting and stable keeper and Elizabeth McColl, 24, spinster, dressmaker, residing at 26 Arundel Street, Belfast, father Malcolm McColl, mechanic.
Married in the Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Church of Ireland by licence by me  David F. R. Wilson
This Marriage was solemnized between us, Robert McIloney and Elizabeth McColl. in the Presence of us, Francis Law, Jennie Bruce.

It is suggested by this marriage that James McAloney was still living late into 1898 and based on his occupation, I'd hazard a guess that he was also in Belfast or in some other major centre. 

I know this marriage for Robert McAloney to be 100% correct as their first child's birth certificate cross-verifies the mother's maiden surname.  That child was Adelaide McAloney born 11 April 1900 in Bolton le Moors, Lancashire and that child eventually immigrated to Canada with her brother, half-sister and step-mother, Robert's second wife.

The marriage of Robert to his second wife occurred in Scotland:

Entry No. 255:
1902 on the first day of December at 269 High Street, Glasgow by Declaration in presence of ROBERT LOGAN, Tailor, and ANNIE CARSON, millioner Mercantile Clerk.
Groom:  Robert McAloney (signed), joiner journeyman, bachelor, aged 28 years, usual residence 319 Parliamentary Road, Glasgow, parents James McAloney cab proprietor and Mary McAloney m[aiden] s[urname] Carson.
Bride:  Mary Logan (signed), spinster, aged 28 years, usual residence 319 Parliamentary Road, Glasgow, parents Alexander Logan formerly a stevedore and Mary Logan m.s. Ross.
If a regular Marriage, Signatures of officiating Minister and Witnesses.  If irregular, Date of Conviction, Decree of Declarator, or Sheriff's Warrant:  Warrant of Sheriff substituted of Lanarkshire dated 1st December 1902.
When and Where Registered and signature of Registrar:  1902 December 1st, at Glasgow by James B. McLaren, Registrar

and confirms his parents names in full and, again, suggests that both were still living as at December 1902.  The child from this marriage also immigrated to Canada with her mother and two half-siblings during October 1909.  The second, and last, child born to Robert and Mary was Robert Carson McAloney at Maisonneuve, Montreal, Quebec, Canada on 21 Aug 1910.

As Robert moved from Coleraine to Belfast to Lancashire to Glasgow and his brother, William, is also believed to have taken a similar exodus from Ireland, I would suspect that the other members of the family either also followed similar migration routes or moved into Belfast and remained there. 

This is why I narrowly defined my search to specifically any descendants of this specific McAloney family as I am hoping that they have answers to some of the family riddles that cannot be answered through biographical or genealogical research.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Valally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 October 16 11:16 BST (UK) »
I have information re Andrew McAloney, born at Crocknamack, Portrush, 1903, as he was my father. Have tried to find out information on my grandmother, formerly Jane Quinn, who had a sister living in Coleraine.

Andrew & Jeanie McAloney(1911 Census) referred to in this article were in fact my father and Aunt Jeanie, both deceased.

Offline Mr WUGS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 January 17 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the family of James McAloney, 1857-1920 and Margaret McKinlay, 1855-1924.  No marriage cert located yet, they had 12 children in Cloyfin, then various locations in Coleraine and finally in Belfast.  In trying to find out more about James McAloney, I have been looking at the other Coleraine McAloney families.  One, that of John McAloney and Elizabeth Wilson, had moved to Glasgow by the 1901 Census.  The other is the one described here, that of James McAloney and Mary Anne Carson.  I have taken valuable information from the discussion above, for which thank you very much. 

While Zacktyr says "My main concern at this point is attempting to locate the living in the hopes that someone somewhere has a diary, letters, family Bible, et cetera.", I know that the descendants of the McAloneys I am researching vanished into the bowels of Belfast, many of them emigrating to America, so I am more interested in the ancestors of James McAloney and Margaret McKinlay.  I have Margaret traced back to Alexander McKinlay, 1781-1864, of Articrunaght and later, Cloyfin, I am struggling to push the McAloneys back beyond James who first appears in Cloyfin in 1878. 

I really need his marriage but if he did not register it and it is not recorded in a church, then I know I will not find it.  Which brings me to my main question.  Does anyone know if the records of Ballyrashane Presbyterian church are accessible at the church in Coleraine or does one have to travel to PRONI in Belfast.  I know that RootsIreland has the marriages but not the baptisms.  Better still, does anyone have information on this McAloney family of Coleraine?

Trying to push backwards, I have not yet accessed the Tithe Applotment Books for the relevant parishes around Coleraine and will not til I travel down to the FHC in Derry, but Bill McAfee's database shows me that there are only two McAloney families in the 1831 census fragment for Co Derry, a James McAloney of Meetinghouse Place, Coleraine and a William McAloney of Cashel, Parish of Macosquin.  Can anyone link them into any of the three McAloney families I have identified in the later 19th century around Coleraine?

Naturally, I am willing to share any information I have on James and Margaret McAloney of Cloyfin.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 January 17 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if the records of Ballyrashane Presbyterian church are accessible at the church in Coleraine or does one have to travel to PRONI in Belfast.  I know that RootsIreland has the marriages but not the baptisms.
Coleraine Library, Queen St., had copies of the microfilmed church records from PRONI-
film #52: baptisms 1863-1868, marriages 1846-1870
film #53: baptisms 1872-1928, marriages 1846-1936
The film numbers are Coleraine's references and #53 is better quality than #52.

However, Coleraine Library is under renovation and I'm not sure where the microfilms will be stored/if they are accessable during the building work so best to phone them for details.

Offline Mr WUGS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 January 17 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I had quite forgotten that they were there!!  I shall check up on when the library is open.

Edit by Moderator: Privacy.

Offline Valally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 12:03 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to get in touch with Mr Wuggs who seems to have information about McAloney family of Coleraine that I have been trying for years to find out about. Andrew McAloney and Jane Quinn were my grandmother and grandfather. Jane Quinn remarried some time later after death of her husband and was then called McNerlin. I could not find their marriage certificate either (my grandparents )but she remarried under the name of McAloney and she had been living in Coleraine with her sister. My father was Andrew born 1903 in Crocknamack Portrush.    Hope to discover more information in future.