Author Topic: Thomas SKINNER, born 1814? in Tasmania? and parents?  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas SKINNER, born 1814? in Tasmania? and parents?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 May 16 05:24 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is the same Susan MARR apprehended in 1830, presumably after absconding.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4208049

Sue

I don't think that this is the same Susan MARR. She was listed as 'free' in the marriage record, and no ship name was recorded on her death record.
There is a Will listed for a Susan MARR in 1839 though, so she might be the same person as the Susan MARR on this apprehended list.

Modified to add:

Though now I am terribly confused, because I have a Susannah MARR arriving in New South Wales in 1920 on board the "Morley". She appears in convict musters in 1824 and 1832. Then in 1837 there is a convict muster for Susan SKINNER who arrived on the "Morley".
HOWARD, LE JUGE, SCHROEDER all Australian

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 May 16 05:37 BST (UK) »
Sure that wills not a hundred years later...1939??

https://stors.tas.gov.au/AD960-1-63-22907

Peter

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 May 16 05:42 BST (UK) »
Re the 1939 will of a Susan MARR, a married woman, with her married daughter as an executor of that will ....  I would expect the will to be in the deceased's married surname rather than in her nee surname.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 May 16 06:24 BST (UK) »
Sure that wills not a hundred years later...1939??

https://stors.tas.gov.au/AD960-1-63-22907

Peter

You are right.
Please don't mind me adding 100 years here or there **bangs head on table**

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 May 16 06:30 BST (UK) »
Ok, so back to the theory that the convict Susan MARR who arrived on the 'Morley' in 1820, is the same Susan MARR that married Thomas Skinner in 1836 and potentially died in 1839.

If she is the same, then she must have been released or pardoned prior to the marriage in 1836. I should also be able to figure out an estimate birth year from her convict records (if I can find them) which will hopefully confirm the birth estimate from the death record for Susan SKINNER in 1839.

Modified to add:
MARR, Susannah, arrived 29 Aug 1920 from London on the "morley"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 May 16 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracey, 

You may need to check your centuries again.

:)  1920 or 1820 for the arrival of the Morley. 

Re the 1820 voyage of the Morley

From the INDEX for the NSW Col Sec papers 1788-1825 (many digitised images available online via Ancestry) but here's the link to the free to search index, showing the source is filmed at NSW SR reel 6007

http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/m/F39c_mo-14.htm#P6015_211225
1820 Sep 22
List of 30 female convicts disembarked from and forwarded to Parramatta for distribution 

Parramatta is in New South Wales.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 May 16 08:05 BST (UK) »
I know you are looking for Thomas SKINNER but here's a bit more about the William SKINNER you have mentioned.
The Old Bailey site has the account of the trial of William SKINNER, aged 22, 4 July 1833.

On 10 June 1833 he stole a handkerchief worth one shilling, from a William EDWARDS living at 89 Cheapside.  The crime took place around Ludgate Hill, Sadlers Wells, Drury Lane, St Brides area of London. No family details given though and as it's an area with a fairly high population as well as an area where many people would work/visit there are no clues as to his residence.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18330704-88&div=t18330704-88&terms=skinner#highlight

Tasmania, Australia, Convict Court and Selected Records,
The Register Alphabetical register of the appropriation of convicts in the North, 1833-1835, states that William's "Native Place" is Islington

This chap arrived on the ship John and on the 1835 convict muster is shown as having been assigned to Mr T Mathews (no district given).  By 1841 he was listed as "Free by servitude".

However the ref given by Debra states that in May 1841 he was to be sent for trial for receiving stolen property from 2 bushrangers,knowing it to have been stolen and assisting them to escape.   :o

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 May 16 08:22 BST (UK) »
Re Thomas SKINNER
Again, using the ref supplied by Debra, Thomas SKINNER, tried at Westminster, October 1832 was transported per Emporer Alexander.
The record shows that there was further misconduct in 1837 in VDL.  It reads to me as though Thomas SKINNER, and his wife (no name given) with convicts 1512 David HALL, 880 Anthony TAYLOR and 1160 ? SIBLEY induced William and Ann BLANCHARD (free persons) to stay in the Government Brickmakers' Hut at Norfolk Plains with the intention of robbing them after getting them drunk.  I think it read that they were not brought to trial as the parties robbed were too drunk at the time to be able to give evidence.

Perhaps these names and the place given could be useful to you?  I apologise but I'm not very au fait with Tasmanian history/geography.  :(
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 May 16 08:32 BST (UK) »
Interestingly the "Native Place"s of the two SKINNER men are both Islington

Tasmania, Australia, Convict Court and Selected Records,
The Register Alphabetical register of the appropriation of convicts in the North, 1833-1835, states that Thomas SKINNER's  "Native Place" is Islington

Judith