Author Topic: Need help connecting the Gilmore's from Antrim  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help connecting the Gilmore's from Antrim
« on: Sunday 08 May 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
I have resorted to genetic genealogy to find more information on my Gilmore line. I am hoping that someone can help me connect some Gilmore's I have found with my dna matches.

Several of my matches have John Gilmore born 1715  Coleraine, Londonderry, Ulster, Ireland, son of John Gilmore born 1690  Coleraine, Londonderry, Ulster, Ireland & mother Agnes Anderson born about 1690  Londonderry Co, Ulster Province. John immigrated to Rockbridge, Virginia.

Other dna matches have Rev. George Gilmore born 1720 County Antrim, Ulster, Ireland. George Gilmore (1720-1811) was born in County Antrim, Ireland, studied at the University of Edinburgh, and in 1769 emigrated to the American Colonies. He was ordained by the Church of Scotland in 1773. George immigrated to Hants Nova Scotia (via Philadelphia).

I am hoping to find more about George. Perhaps there is a relationship between him & John born 1720.

I am thinking that there might be another sibling to either John or George that would be my line. I am definitely not in George's line but am related to several that are. I have a John (Henry?) Gilmore born about 1805 who married a Mary Rainey. They immigrated to Ontario Canada before 1828 when daughter Agnes was born & son  John Henry Jr. born 1830 (my line). The name John Henry is found 2 more times in my family. There might also be a Henry connection in Ireland as well.

I'm just stuck trying to find more information on the Gilmore's Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Donna

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help connecting the Gilmore's from Antrim
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 16 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Pooziej,  thanks to aghadowey I realised the extent of your work
the sources below may not cover Co Antrim in the best way and are not complete
following on Bill macfee many databases the tithes applotment books are searchable by parish
under each NI county see http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/

your starting Gilmores presumably have descendant trees is existence, so  you will know these earlier Gilmores but I became curious as an Aghadowey entry is in the 1660’s or perhaps earlier just under Coleraine.

extract downloaded from http://www.billmacafee.com
1630 Muster Rolls for the County of Londonderry   Excel   PDF
headings
Record No.   Surname [Standardised]   Surname as spelt in Muster Rolls   Forename   Estate (Chief Tenant)   Barony   Surname listed in 1622
742 Gilmore Gilmore Thomas Clothworkers (Sir Robert McClelland) Coleraine 
743 Gilmore Gilmore Andrew Clothworkers (Sir Robert McClelland) Coleraine 
744 Gilmore Gilmore James Clothworkers (Sir Robert McClelland) Coleraine 
1711 Gilmore Gillmore Robert Thomas Phillips, Limavady Keenaght    

extract downloaded from http://www.billmacafee.com
1660’s
Hearth Money Rolls [T307] for the counties of Antrim [1669], Londonderry [1663], Tyrone [1666] and Donegal [Baronies of Inishowen and Raphoe] 1665 - read more.
Excel [North Ulster]   PDF [North Ulster]
headings
Record No.   No. in Barony List   County   Barony   Parish   Townland (Modern Spelling)   Townland as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Forename as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Surname as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Surname [Standardised]
2813 785 L'Derry Keenaght Drumachose Limavady Town Newtowne Alexander Gillmore Gilmore
3484 1456 L'Derry N E Liberties of Coleraine Ballywillin  Not specified Not specified John Gilmore Gilmore
3837 1809 L'Derry Coleraine Aghadowey Ardreagh Irdreach-Ardriach Thomas Gilmore Gilmore
3891 1863 L'Derry Coleraine Errigal Crockindollagh & Mayboy Crucanadoly & Moboy Wm Gilmore Gilmore
4250 2222 L'Derry Coleraine Desertoghill Movenis (?) 2 Moyntys Robert Gillmore Gilmore
9316 1851 Antrim Dunluce Lower Derrykeighan Dervock 1 Qr Aberdny Wm  Gilmor Gilmore
etcetc

11425 184 Antrim Antrim Upper Antrim Antrim Town Antrm Towne Luke Sen. Reynes Raines
etcetc all Rainey are Co Antrim

while i remember 1796
http://www.failteromhat.com/flax/antrim.php
Gilmor                John                 Racavan            Antrim
Gilmor                Samuel               Derrykeighan       Antrim

so good luck on the genetics
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 May 16 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

Looking at other dna matches with ties to Ireland, the majority were from Antrim. Some actually still live there (Gillespie's & Curry's)! I am very confident my Gilmore's & Rainey's were also from that area.

I was hoping that there would be some information on Rev. George Gilmore as he did attend Edinburgh University. That was quite the feat back then. I also imagine his family was perhaps somewhat wealthy to afford this. I thought this may have been a good clue to find more information.

Thank you for the information and links. They are truly appreciated.

Donna

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 May 16 13:06 BST (UK) »

I was hoping that there would be some information on Rev. George Gilmore as he did attend Edinburgh University. That was quite the feat back then. I also imagine his family was perhaps somewhat wealthy to afford this. I thought this may have been a good clue to find more information.

Donna
Donna,

Have you contacted Edinburgh University to see what records they have on Rev Gilmore. I got in touch with them some years back and they were able to provide a little information on an former student eg his parents names and place of birth and the year he matriculated.

Also, you say he was ordained by the Church of Scotland. They keep a record of all their Ministers lives and careers in Fasti. See:

http://www.dwalker.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Map.htm
Elwyn

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 16 15:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this link! After looking at the previous links I was feeling very dismayed as I found soooo many Gilmore's! Very few Rainey's though which may help me.

Thank you,
Donna

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 May 16 16:16 BST (UK) »
After looking at my original post I see he was ordained in America & not Scotland as he had immigrated beforehand. He did attend University in Edinburg but I doubt that will help me.

Thanks,
Donna   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 May 16 18:39 BST (UK) »
... He did attend University in Edinburg but I doubt that will help me.
Edinburgh University should have records so it's well worthy checking out.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Pooziej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 May 16 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I will try that!

I was amazed at how many Gilmore's I found in the documents I saw! I don't think I will be able to figure out which family I belong to as there were so many. I know I won't find marriage information. :-(  I think I will look more at the Rainey's as there were fewer of them. I will look for Rainey's & Gilmore's that lived in/near each other.

Thank you again for all your help. Greatly appreciated!!

Donna