Author Topic: cross green,shropshire  (Read 2765 times)

Offline lynne at anfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
cross green,shropshire
« on: Saturday 24 July 04 19:06 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather,William Brown was born in Cross Green,Shropshire.However there are apparently three places of that name.He became a railway labourer and moved around the country eventually settling here in Stockport.He was born in 1861/2, any ideas which Cross Green is the relevant one?

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: cross green,shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
What other details do you have on William Brown?

This is from the 1881 census, don't know if you have this but will include it anyway, I will also have a look through some other census years if you like.

Household:

Name  Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
 Charles DOLLEY   Head   M   Male   26   Bedford, Bedford, England   Labourer At Gun Works     
 Caroline DOLLEY   Wife   M   Female   32   Stafford, Stafford, England   Sewing Machinist     
 William BROWN   Boarder   U   Male   19   Cross Green, Shropshire, England   Labourer On Railway     
 Thomas NORTHFIELD   Lodger   U   Male   35   Huntingdon, Huntingdon, England   Labourer At Gun Works     

~~~~~~~~
Source Information:
  Dwelling   51 Ryder Street
  Census Place Bradford, Lancashire, England
  Family History Library Film   1341958
  Public Records Office Reference   RG11
  Piece / Folio   4015 / 79
  Page Number   20

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline lynne at anfield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: cross green,shropshire
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 04 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicky, Sorry its taken me so long to reply,I have seen the 1881 census you mentioned and I am sure the William listed is my great grandfather.I have also found him in 1891, by this time he had the start of his family. They lived in St. Asaph,North Wales and he was still working, building the railways. In 1901 the family lived in Carnarfon by this time he was a railway ganger.He eventually moved here to Stockport, where he died in 1911. I would like to trace his parents,also the registration of his and my great grandmother(Elizabeth Mcguire) marriage and it is proving very difficult. Thanks for contacting me, Happy New Year, from Lynne