Author Topic: Elizabeth Butler b1800  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Phinders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Butler b1800
« on: Monday 09 May 16 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm trying to find the Husband's name and maiden name of this Elizabeth Butler, also any siblings/parents/grandparents of Elizabeth and her husband:

1841 Census, Forty Foot Bridge. Ramsay, Huntingdonshire.  Elizabeth Butler 1801 (40), William 1821 (20), George, Elvin (Eliza?), John 1826 (15) triplets?, Henry 1829 (12), James 1837 (4)

1851 Census, Forty Foot Bridge. Elizabeth Butler 1799 (52), William, son,1821 (30), Henry, son, 1830 (21), James Day Butler, son, 1837 (14)

The Father of Elizabeth's children doesn't appear on either census and I can't find their marriage record or any birth records of the kids.

Thanks
Phil Butler

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Butler b1800
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 May 16 14:29 BST (UK) »
You could have found the marriage at http://www.freereg.org.uk/ There are two Butler marriages in Ramsey in 1820:

Robert Butler and Elizabeth Day 10 July 1820
John Butler of Wistow and Elizabeth Robinson

A Robert Butler aged 40 was buried in Ramsey in 1839 so the marriage to Elizabeth Day looks to be favourite; particularly as in 1851 her youngest son had the middle name DAY. Elizabeth was a widow with birthplace Ramsey.

They weren't triplets. Ages over 15 in 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5 below, so 15 covered an age range of 15 to 19. As I put in your other thread a couple of months ago, to which you didn't respond, the ages were originally enumerated as 19; 17 and 15 but the older two had been overwritten as 15 but with the original ages still visible.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 May 16 21:28 BST (UK) »
Huntingdonshire isn't the easiest county to research online, as the LDS (www.familysearch.org) was refused permission to film many parish registers, so they're not online; nor is a transcript available from Hunts FHS. Ramsey is in a halfway position. There are no Ramsey records on www.familysearch.org, but marriages are on http://www.freereg.org.uk/. Burials are on findmypast at http://search.findmypast.co.uk/. But I'm not aware of any site that has baptisms. However, Hunts FHS sells a transcript on either CDRom or fiche at http://www.huntsfhs.org.uk/cgi-bin/hfhsbookstall.cgi

It's Ramsey by the way, not Ramsay. Makes all the difference when searching!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Phinders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 06:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks David, you're very helpful mate.  Sorry I didn't respond to your previous post I thought I had responded to everyone.  Now it makes sense as to why I'm having so much difficultly finding records for the family in Hunts, so I suppose I'll have to pay for the CD Rom from Hunts FHS.
Thanks again for the helpful hints and information

Phil Butler
Perth
Western Australia