Author Topic: John Quirk and Nancy Crain  (Read 2346 times)

Offline costaud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Quirk and Nancy Crain
« on: Monday 09 May 16 21:29 BST (UK) »
I have three children whose father is John Quirk and mother is Nancy Crain.  The childrens names are William birthdate 11 Dec 1791; Margaret 1 April, 1798; and John birthdate 10 Aug, 1800.  They were born in parish of Patrick Isle of Man.

Two of these children have been attached to my family tree which is John Quirk father and Ann Crain mother.

I cannot find birthdate for Nancy Crain, nor marriage date for a John Quirk and Nancy Crain.  The original records only state children of John Quirk and Nancy Crain listed above.  They are all listed in parish Patrick Isle of Man and approximately the same time period.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Quirk and Nancy Crain
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 May 16 22:24 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

Nancy and Ann are often interchangeable?

So, maybe this marriage fits?
7 Feb 1786  Kirk German, Isle of Man

John Quirk, of the parish of Patrick, bachelor, and Ann Crain, of this parish, spinster were married in this church by Lycense (sic) with consent of Ann's father

There are potential further christenings, in Patrick, to John Quirk and Ann Crain:
Cath, 4 Dec 1787
Ann, 9 Aug 1789
Philip, 23 Feb 1794 (Died 5 Aug 1796)
Cath, 4 May 1796
James, 26 May 1805 (Died 24 Feb 1806)
Charles, 8 Mar 1807 (Died 31 Aug 1808)
Philip, 12 Apr 1809
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline costaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 May 16 23:12 BST (UK) »
I have all the information you gave for ann and John quirk.  I looked at original documents and just noted the three had Nancy listed.  Seems strange they would list Nancy as mother when all other children is listed as Anne.    In a history of Thomas Quirk son of ann and John the great grandaughter called his mother Ellen.   We believe her full name was Ann Ellen Crain.   Thanks for your input.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 May 16 22:22 BST (UK) »
the Manx custom was usually to use the 2nd Christian name if given (eg a John James would usually be known as Jimmy)
Anne may well have known as Nancy to family though often these more colloquial names were 'translated' by the vicar (or Parish Clerk) into the 'proper' name
(Joney a common Manx name often appeared as Judith for this reason)
Ann was d/o James Crain + Margt Christian (James' will 1789 - dated 6 oct 1788;peel;3 ch margt,ann + philip;wife margt als christian exex;1790 legatees margt wade + ann quirk
bapt German 17671212 and as she was under 21 at marriage needed agreement of father - her mother d 1801 - will Margt Craine als Christian - d 13 sep 1801;peel;ch philip,ann(w/o john quirk) + margt(w/o john wade) jt admrs
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline costaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Crain
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 16 03:35 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a baptism record for Thomas Quirk, buried in Granstville Utah. Burial card states birth as 1803, Kirk Patrick Isle of Man, father John Quirk and mother Ellen Craine.  All our records have him attached to John Quirk and Ann Craine.  I can find all the records of the children of Ann and John but not Thomas.  Family Search, My Heritage, Find My Past all have him belonging to John and Ann but no source of record of birth given.  I am wondering why he wouldn't have a record of birth like the rest of the children.  He is the only one without a record.  I wondered if he is in right family group.  I am making the assumption his mothers name is Ann Ellen Craine but still do not understand why no record of birth exists.  Can anyone enlighten me.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 May 16 08:45 BST (UK) »
Ann/Nancy Crain is never referred to as Ellen nor given a 2nd name in any of her records - looks strongly as tho usual Mormon error based of matching of names thinking because name unusual in their context was unusual in a #manx context,
also possibly forgetting Manx custom of giving an illeg child its father's name rather than the English custom of child taking mother's name has suggested wrong parents tho there is a gap in their children that could allow a birth in 1803

any thing with a Manx Connection