Author Topic: Walter John Blampied b1888 Lookup  (Read 1834 times)

Offline LauraTucker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter John Blampied b1888 Lookup
« on: Tuesday 10 May 16 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if someone might be able to look up Walter John Blampied for me please? I believe he was baptised in 1888 in the parish of Trinity, Jersey. I think his father may have been called John, but would love to be able to go further back down this line of my family.

I think I may have found him in Trinity on the 1891 census, with father John and mother Jane, but if there was some info on the baptism record that could confirm this, it would be brilliant!

He went on to marry Amelie Marie Leonie Le Pennec in 1913 and had four children, my grandmother being one of them.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Walter John Blampied b1888 Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Somebody else (SueLeLong) appears to be researching the same family and has notified a correction to the 1901 census entry.  Do you know anybody of that name?

Both 1891 and 1901 entries show his birthyear as 1885/1886 not 1888
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline LauraTucker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 20:10 BST (UK) »
That's interesting - I don't know this lady but might try and contact her. Did you find this information on Anc? It would be good to find someone else who is looking for these ancestors too!

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 20:38 BST (UK) »
Sue corrects a lot of entries on Ancestry so may not be related. It's probably a CI thing, we see how badly the transcribers have mangled Jersey names and have to send a correction, I do it myself all the time.
Anyway, I can see Walter's birth in the Trinity indexes between 1879 and 1888. Do you want me to look it up for you next time I am at the Registry Office? it would give his mother's maiden name which would make it easier to look for his parent's marriage especially as Blampied is such a common name.

Offline LauraTucker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 20:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you la grande-méthe, that would really be most kind of you and I would very much appreciate the help!

I believe he was baptised in 1888, but I'm not sure how soon after birth they would have been baptised. Is there a usual amount of time that would elapse? (My dad has told me of some of our ancestors being baptised in London years after their births, but from some of my research on family in Dorset they seem to have been baptised fairly soon after birth.)

Thanks again for looking this up for me. If there's ever anything I can look up for you in the Portsmouth/Petersfield area, do let me know!

(I agree with correcting badly transcribed entries on ancestry - I do it myself if I see some absolute howlers!)

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 May 16 20:11 BST (UK) »
Walter John Blampied was born on November 17th 1885, he was the son of John Blampied, a property owner and Jane Elizabeth Noel. It would be unusual to wait 3 years before a baptism but not unheard of.

John Blampied was married first to Susan Elizabeth Noel (maybe a relation of Jane's but I haven't looked that closely yet). That first marriage took place in Trinity on December 23rd, 1865. John was 21 and Susan was 18, their respective fathers were Jean Blampied and Jean Noel, both carpenters.

Susan's burial is recorded in the parish of St Martin on April 29th, 1874 at the age of 26 years and 8 months.

On August 20th 1874 John married again, this time in the parish of St Saviour.
John Blampied, aged 29, widow, occupation Carpenter, living in St Martin, born in Trinity. Father Jean Blampied - Carpenter
Jane Elizabeth Noel, aged 24, spinster, no occupation, living and born in St Martin. Father George Noel - Labourer.
The witnesses were George Noel and Ann Esther Noel.

If you get stuck going further back let me know and I'll have a look at the records.

Offline LauraTucker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 May 16 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for looking that up for me - I really appreciate it!

I think that confirms that I'm looking at the right person in the census return which shows John and Jane as parents. I look forward to tracing further back through the family - thank you for all your help!

Offline LauraTucker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 May 16 18:32 BST (UK) »
La grande-méthe - I wonder if I might trouble you for some more information on John Blampied please?

I believe I have found him in the following census returns:
1901; Trinity; widowed; 57; carpenter
1891; Trinity; married; 46; carpenter; living with wife Jane E and 9 children
1881: St Martin; married; 36; carpenter; living with wife Jane E and 5 children
1871; St Martin; married; 26; carpenter; living with wife Susan Elizabeth Noel and 1 son, John Wm
1861: Trinity; unmarried; 16; carpenter; living with parents Jean and Elizabeth
1851; Trinity; unmarried; 6; scholar; living with parents John (different spelling but everything else tallies) and Elizabeth

I reckon John's father Jean/John was born around 1823, but to clarify which of the 1841 census returns he appears in, would you be able to look up his parents for me please? He was also born in Trinity.

Again, I really appreciate your help!

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 May 16 21:13 BST (UK) »
You'll have to leave this one with me for a couple of days, I've got 2 Jean Blampieds born  in Trinity in 1823. I'm leaning towards Charles (Blamfield) at the moment as being his father but need to check a couple of things at the Archive.