Author Topic: Searching for William 'Bill' Hogg  (Read 13886 times)

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for William 'Bill' Hogg
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 May 16 16:56 BST (UK) »
LOL I can't keep up  :o why would someone be named one thing but be someone else?

I thought I'd try and find some Hoggs in Belfast on the electoral roll, wow there's only 186 to choose from. I note there are a fair few Walter S. Hoggs in there.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 May 16 16:58 BST (UK) »
Yes they did seem to try and make things confusing but if I'm correct then I've just traced the Hoggs back to early 1800!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 May 16 17:15 BST (UK) »
Wow I'm impressed, even if confused. I look forward to hearing more - when you have time aghadowey.  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 May 16 18:21 BST (UK) »
Still adding to what I've found but think the problem with wrong details in 1911 census is George Hogg's fault (perhaps he didn't know his mother's first name, ages, etc.). Hope all will eventually become clearer  ;)

Added- the family of Thomas Hogg & Mary Ellen McCashin/McCashell are not the right family. Thomas died in 1920 and Mary Ellen in 1946 and along with other records I've found them in 1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Vere_Street/138844

So, need to go back and find the correct link but meanwhile there is this Will Extract from PRONI- see reply #6:
Hogg George of 15 Palestine Street and of 40 Apsley Street both in Belfast baker and confectioner died 27 October 1947 at 40 Apsley Street Probate Belfast 25 May to William Moore commercial traveller. Effects £2373 0s. 3d.

1950- Mrs. Hogg, home bakery at 40 Apsley St.-
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/acomplete1951_2.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 May 16 06:31 BST (UK) »
Just a few more pieces of information, hopefully they will provide a hook for people to find other things.

1. Following on from the reference at reply #21 to "Hogg George of 15 Palestine Street and of 40 Apsley Street both in Belfast baker and confectioner died 27 October 1947..." note the following marriage in Ballynafeigh Methodist Church on 5 August 1919, George Hogg of 90 McClure Street married Mary McCleery of 15 Palestine Street, bachelor George was described as a breadserver, the son of George Hogg an engineer, spinster Mary was the daughter of William McCleery, a farmer, the witnesses were John C Cunningham and Eva Graham (note that, in case connected to Violet).  The 1918 Belfast street directory for McClure Street confirms: 90. Hogg, Geo., baker. Likewise the 1924 Belfast street directory.  However, the 1932 Belfast street directory for McClure Street showing the following: 90. Emerson, W. M. (where have we heard that name before?)

2. On 5 June 1929, a 25 year old bachelor called Walter Hogg, a labourer living at 11 Zetland Street, married Mary McCrea , the witnesses were an Albert Lowry and Rachel Armstrong.  Walter's father was recorded as James Hogg, a boiler maker ???.  There is a boiler maker called James Hogg boarding with Lowrys in Foundry Street in 1901, but he is listed as not married and I can see nothing else to tie him in, so just to note: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Victoria/Foundry_Street/1217924/

3. In grave Y 218 of Belfast City Cemetery Glenalina Extension is William Hogg, who died on 21 April 1945 with a reported age 54, the last place of residence was 40 Apsley Street (no other grave occupants): https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=7075.1331

A transcribed record I've seen describes him as a married horse dealer, the grave owner was George Hogg. GRONI online shows the reported age as 43, much closer to the William Hogg of 1 Ettrick Street in 1911.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 May 16 07:46 BST (UK) »
However, the 1932 Belfast street directory for McClure Street showing the following: 90. Emerson, W. M. (where have we heard that name before?)

...as per my earlier post, we know Kathleen Emerson was buried from her mother-in-law's home, 90 McClure Street, in 1945.

A William Emerson of 90 McClure Street, father of a late Annie Sarah McMullen, died in 1952. His son in law, Samuel, of Aranbrooke Avenue, Ballynahinch,  inserted the notice.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 May 16 08:19 BST (UK) »
In 1925, a George Hogg, breadserver, 15 Palestine Street, was found guilty of assault and sentenced to 9 month's imprisonment with hard labour. He had pleaded not guilty, and a KC, instructed by a Mr John Graham (coincidence?), defended. The judge said the sentence would have been much greater had it not been for the way his defence was conducted.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 May 16 08:51 BST (UK) »
 ;D :o ??? LOL is it just me or is everyone confused?
So it's not only my father who is proving to be a pain in the backside then.
Maybe that's why he left  :o

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 13 May 16 08:52 BST (UK) »
By the way, where on earth do you find all this info please?