Author Topic: Searching for William 'Bill' Hogg  (Read 13886 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for William 'Bill' Hogg
« Reply #27 on: Friday 13 May 16 09:12 BST (UK) »
;D :o ??? LOL is it just me or is everyone confused?

Everyone is offering up potential pieces of a 'jigsaw' in the hope that by working together, they might eventually create order and form a 'picture'. What may appear to be 'confusion' is in fact the workings of process.

Info is found from numerous sources. For example, local newspaper articles can be found in places such as Linenhall Library, Belfast, or, up to c1950s, online via subscription or pay per view, at British Newspapers Online or FindMyPast. 
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 13 May 16 09:19 BST (UK) »
Aww ok thanks for the explanation Scotsmum, as a newbie I wasn't sure what to do with the info, but I want you all to know how grateful I am for you all looking for it for me.  :)

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 16 May 16 12:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry thought I'd bump this again, I was thinking, my mum insists that William's mother (Violet Graham) was from Liverpool, so it's possible they weren't married in Ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 16 May 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
I had searched last week and re-checked but can't see any marriage in England & Wales using FreeBMD site for a Hogg-Graham marriage or a William Hogg to a Violet.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 May 16 17:08 BST (UK) »
I had searched last week and re-checked but can't see any marriage in England & Wales using FreeBMD site for a Hogg-Graham marriage or a William Hogg to a Violet.

Ohh so frustrating. :( But thank you.

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 20:25 BST (UK) »
I wonder if these are my dad's great grandparents, and grandad...I can't get my head around how I can check so any ideas please?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 06:01 BST (UK) »

I'm not sure I understand.

The most robust line of investigation in this topic so far suggests that 10 year old William Hogg of Ettrick Street in the 1911 census may have been your Grandfather, based on a fair measure of circumstantial / interconnecting  evidence involving the names George and Walter (Scott) Hogg, W. Emerson and the Zetland Street and Apsley Street addresses. 

What is the basis for your Grandfather being the William Hogg who was born on 21 March 1916 to parents William Hogg and Margaret Glenn (married on 1 January 1913)?

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, I meant to write they might be my great grandparents.

Hi Gaffy, thanks, well I guess because I have no definite proof of what has been discussed as yet, so I've been looking at other alternatives to try and research/rule out.

The 10 year old William Hogg of Ettrick Street in the 1911 census would have been 36 when he had my father.

The William Hogg born on 21 March 1916 to parents William Hogg and Margaret Glenn, would have been 21

And there are 4 possibles for Violet Graham ( see attached image - 2 in Belfast) - all born around 1915 so I am assuming the William Hogg who she had my dad with would have been around the same age.

I thought that when researching that's what you do, find all the possibles and then rule them out as answers are found. If someone has a way to find out about Margaret Glenn and her marriage to William Hogg, and any other children they might have had it could help but I don't really know.

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 10:34 BST (UK) »
As I said before though, I am confused by the findings, I know the Zetland Street address makes it more obvious it was the other William Hogg.

There's a Margaret Glenn at 15 Chichester Avenue, Belfast in the 1911 census about the right age to be the same one.