Author Topic: Searching for William 'Bill' Hogg  (Read 13888 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for William 'Bill' Hogg
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
Walter Scott Hogg who died 26 November 1961 (GRONI online has the death record, reported age was 57), last place of residence 13 "Letland" (Zetland?) Street, buried in grave C 622 in Roselawn Cemetery (other grave occupants Mary P Hogg died 1981 and Walter Hogg died 2008, click 'View details' once you follow this link):

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hlz/

Edited to add:  I see this was previously posted, what confused me was the link to the burial of Walter died 2008, not Walter died 1961.  :)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 14:37 BST (UK) »
A William and Agnes Emerson were at 11 Zetland Street in 1917... see entry for a son, Thomas, at:
 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/rohsdgw/royalirishrifles/ririflesbat11.html

When Kathleen Emerson died at 11 Zetland Street in 1945, she was buried from her mother-in-law's house at 90 McClure Street.

A William Emerson was still at 11 Zetland Street in 1950, as he was listed, along with his address, as a patient in Letterkenny Hospital following an accident.

A Kathleen Gaw married a William Emerson in Belfast in 1937.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 15:55 BST (UK) »
A Kathleen Gaw married a William Emerson in Belfast in 1937.
Interesting because the emerson child who died in 1943 is buried with in Yaw plot! probably should be Gaw rather than Yaw?

William & Agnes Emerson in 1911 with son William Allan Emerson- note grandson Joseph McDowell in household:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Belfast_East/Emily_Place/143284
and in 1901:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__Anne_s_Ward/Emily_Place/959659

1938 burial for child of William & Kathleen Emerson- 89 Maryville St.:
https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=4466.5256

A William and Agnes Emerson were at 11 Zetland Street in 1917... see entry for a son, Thomas, at:
 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/rohsdgw/royalirishrifles/ririflesbat11.html
Thomas Henry Emerson with grandmother in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Maze/Culcavey_Town/250427
and here with grandparents in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Maze/Culcavey/1241491

I found something earlier which might tie things together a bit more but have to go back and find it
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 May 16 12:36 BST (UK) »
First of all a BIG thank you to you all for posting.

I have to apologise here as well for posting on 2 forums and causing confusion, I posted on the Belfast forum.co. uk after I found out he was born in Belfast believing it would be more beneficial.  :( Thanks for pointing out the link Gaffy.

Reports in 1935 newspaper about theft/s by a William Hogg of Zetland Street (number not mentioned), which involved a 'harness'.

::) Thanks so much for this, so George and Walter would more than likely be related. This William Hogg must be the horse 'dealer' I assume - am I able to see this newspaper report online Scotmum?

Thanks the graves info but how do you actually tie everything in, or is it just a case of saving everything then checking as more comes to light - it's ever so confusing lol.

Wonder if this ties in somehow (or was 11 Zetland St. multiple occupancy?)
Emerson Kathleen of 11 Zetland Street Belfast died 13 July 1945 at the Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast Administration Belfast 5 September to William Emerson fitter the husband. Effects £463 1s. 7d.

Added- Kathleen Emerson age 33 so born c1912

William Emerson, aged 3 weeks, 11 Zetland St., died 1943-
https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=7051.15660

aghadowey, at the moment I'm failing to see a connection here other than the address, but interested to know more if you find it, so thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 May 16 13:25 BST (UK) »
I'm still checking a few resources but believe there might be a connection between the Emersons,  Hoggs, etc. Looking at the Zetland St. addresses timeline I posted earlier you can see something seems to be going on.

Offline NikkiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 May 16 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I see lots of stuff with the Emersons, but obviously not sure where the Hoggs fit in. I'm finding it fascinating and confusing at the same time. I'm afraid at the moment because I don't really know how genealogy works, I tend to be a bit blinkered in what I search for focussing purely on one area and ruling out anything else.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 May 16 13:47 BST (UK) »
I agree on the Emersons and Hoggs being tied together in some way, I just don't know what the connection is!  :)  Just to recap the other established lead for my own benefit, in case I'm picking it up wrong (please let me know).

(1) Scotmum's 1947 death notice for a George Hogg said that he had a brother Walter Hogg (wife Mary) who lived at 13 Zetland Street. (BTW, Walter Hogg is far from a common forename / surname combination in Ireland).

(2) Aghadowey's 1961 Belfast burial for a Walter Scott Hogg gives his last place of residence as 13 'Letland' Street, I'm thinking, surely this just has to be a mistranscription of Zetland Street (I can't yet find a closer alternative).  Also buried in the same grave is a Mary P Hogg, just the right age to be Walter's wife.  The name Walter Scott Hogg is most definitely not a common name.

(3) Aghadowey's 1911 census return for Ettrick Street shows someone with that very singular name, Walter Scott Hogg, age in line with the 1961 burial record, also in the household are a George Hogg and a William Hogg.

In those 'linked' circumstances, the immediate thought has to be that George Hogg in the 1911 Ettrick Street census return is the brother who died in 1947 and William Hogg is the brother who just possibly fathered a son William in 1937 with Violet Graham (pending confirmation of any marriage).  But I can't seem to gain any traction on who the folk in house 1 Ettrick Street in 1911 were.  GRONI has a Walter Hogg birth in the right timeframe, but he was the son of Francis Hogg and Mary Larmour and is easily found elsewhere in the 1911 census.

So who was the 1911 Ettrick Street Walter Hogg? And George Hogg? And William Hogg? (link again for convenience):
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Cromac/Ettrick_Street/159711

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 May 16 15:43 BST (UK) »
But I can't seem to gain any traction on who the folk in house 1 Ettrick Street in 1911 were.  GRONI has a Walter Hogg birth in the right timeframe, but he was the son of Francis Hogg and Mary Larmour and is easily found elsewhere in the 1911 census.
That Walter Hogg was Walter Leslie Hogg.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 May 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
I think I found the right Hogg family in 1901 BUT Jane was Mary Ellen and Walter Scott born c1904 was James Hogg or Thomas Anderson Hogg!

In 1911 Jane Hogg, a widow, says married 28 years with 7 children/3 living- the 3 living being George (23), William (10), Walter Scott (7)- but no matter what way or where I searched I couldn't find birth registrations or a marriage to match. So, I started trolling through GRONI's birth's for closest matches and found... (all Belfast)

Thomas Hogg, son of Francis, m.(15 Dec.1890) Mary Ellen McCashell, daughter of John (McCashin in most of the birth records)-
Francis (27 Nov.1891)- named for father's father
Thomas (17 May 1897)- must have died young
Henry Anderson (1897)
Thomas (3 Oct.1898)
George (21 Sept.1900)
William John (21 Sept.1900)
James (19 Apr.1903)- UFHF database gives him as Thomas Anderson but I think this is WALTER SCOTT

Here's the 1901 family- think George is Thomas' brother and Ellen possibly his daughter
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Ambrose_Street/1003042

Lots more to post and explain further (and there's still possible link to Emersons)  ;D