Author Topic: Bowlbys, gamekeepers and Knoydart  (Read 9087 times)

Offline joshposh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bowlbys, gamekeepers and Knoydart
« on: Tuesday 10 May 16 17:30 BST (UK) »
A research project has gone out of control and I need help, please. Looking for oral or written history on the Bowlby family at Knoydart from 1893 to the 1930s, and especially photos, especially hunting photos. Thank you
Josh
Bowlby, hunting, Knoydart, ghillies, gamekeepers

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bowlbys, gamekeepers and Knoydart
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 19:51 BST (UK) »
A couple of things.

Do a search in this forum for Knoydart you might find some of the gamekeepers ancestors. 

Bowlby's didn't live there it was a shooting/hunting lodge.  Goggle has a lot on the family.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline joshposh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Don. Everything available by Internet searches was churned through long ago. The searches on this site did connect me with one helpful person so far, and now I'm focusing the context for the next interested person. Specifically of interest are the Bowlbys, hunting, knoydart, and ghillies. Especially photos. Most welcome. Thank you again!

Offline joshposh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 16:43 BST (UK) »
A couple of things.

Do a search in this forum for Knoydart you might find some of the gamekeepers ancestors. 

Bowlby's didn't live there it was a shooting/hunting lodge.  Goggle has a lot on the family.

Don

Hi Don. Just to clarify this subject for other readers, the Bowlby family owned the Knoydart peninsula from 1893 to the early 1930s. As he aged, Edward Salvin Bowlby spent more and more time at Inverie House on Knoydart, where he stalked stag until he died in November 1902. There was also another building that served as a hunting lodge, farther out in the hills than Inverie House. Edward's oldest son Arthur continued to stay extensively at Knoydart for the next thirty years, mostly for stalking deer, and many other family members also used Knoydart a lot, including the Trenchards, during that time. The family had long connections to the Isles of Skye and Wight and Knoydart was in their back yard. Thank you again for your help and interest!

Offline alanbraveheart

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Old Ronald and Dog' knoydart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 April 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello, I just came across your post, here are a couple of photographs taken in the 1890s of 'The Knoydart Keepers' hope you find these of interest,

Best Wishes, alan :)

Offline joshposh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 April 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
Wow thank you, Alan! Those photos were taken by Edward Salvin Bowlby's son, Arthur, who was an amateur photographer in the 1880s - 1920s, and who visually chronicled Knoydart and Victorian society unlike anyone else could have. The news articles are new to me, and I'm excited to read them tonight on a larger screen. Stay in touch, please!
Josh
Hello, I just came across your post, here are a couple of photographs taken in the 1890s of 'The Knoydart Keepers' hope you find these of interest,

Best Wishes, alan :)

Offline alanbraveheart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 May 17 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Josh, Thank you for your reply, great information, i did not know that the photgraphs were taken by Arthur Salvin Bowlby, an Excellent Photographer indeed, it would be great to see more of his work, Ronald Macmaster was my GG Grandfather, i will attach a photograph of his son's, My Great Grandfather standing in the middle at the back, Best Wishes from, Alan.   :)

Offline joshposh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 May 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hey Alan, great pictures! Thank you!
I've been contacted by Ceitidh here. She is a great granddaughter of Ronald McMaster. We exchanged several messages last year. Do you know her? A great deal of Arthur Salvin Bowlby's best Knoydart photos will be debuting this summer and fall, in a journal dedicated to historic longarms. The articles with the old photos are about a rifle owned by the Bowlbys and used at Knoydart from 1888 to 1902. The articles combine history with modern and old photos. These old photos have never been seen by the public before and they are amazing. I think it is fantastic you are engaged in this search for roots and connections, and I'm happy to help. Knoydart is a mighty special place. We will have to wait until after publication to share the old photos. There is even one with either Czar Nicholas or one of the British Royal family members hunting at the Barrisdale lodge with the Bowlbys. Very cool! And lots and lots of keepers, lots and lots of your Ronald. Stay in touch.
Josh

Offline alanbraveheart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 May 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
 :) Hello Josh, Yes, i know Ceitidh, we are related, Ceitidh helped me very much in tracing our Family History in Knoydart, Barrisdale and surrounding areas, we exchanged quite  few messages :)
 I look forward to Arthur Salvin Bowlbys Knoydart Photographs this Summer, sounds amazing. Wow Old Photos never been seen before by the public, Articles photographs and History, Wonderful, this is really exciting, please keep me posted to when this will all be debuting,there is also a wonderful book by Professor Peter R English titled 'Arnisdale and Loch Hourn....the clachans, people, memories and the furure'. I am sure you would find of interest, i appreciate your Help, Thank you Josh,

Best Wishes and Kind Regards from, Alan :)