Author Topic: Looking for William Pritchard from Brighton Sussex  (Read 3100 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for William Pritchard from Brighton Sussex
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 12 May 16 20:53 BST (UK) »

Most of Black Lion Street has been redeveloped

Pretty pub tho . . . . .

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/8-black-lion-street/brighton/bn1-1nd/29001237
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 13 May 16 02:45 BST (UK) »
Ok now having seen the street I understand,such a shame 😩😩😩
I am coming to the UK in July & would dearly love to take you all fittingly to the pub for lunch!
I am so blown away from the generosity of everyone giving their time & sharing their breadth of knowledge in this forum ! Clearly Black Lion st has a colourful past,especially where my ancestors were concerned.😆😆😆
FYI William B ended up being a Clerk of the courts & a Bailiff during the gold rush .
Now,if I find whence his father William was from,it will be the icing on the cake!
With much appreciation
Kat

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 13 May 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
It's probably a silly question but as William B had his trade as junior clerk in 1851 is that related to law ? I've been looking at UK articles of clerkship but appears he is not listed.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 13 May 16 11:17 BST (UK) »
Ok now having seen the street I understand,such a shame 😩😩😩
I am coming to the UK in July & would dearly love to take you all fittingly to the pub for lunch!
I am so blown away from the generosity of everyone giving their time & sharing their breadth of knowledge in this forum ! Clearly Black Lion st has a colourful past,especially where my ancestors were concerned.😆😆😆
FYI William B ended up being a Clerk of the courts & a Bailiff during the gold rush .
Now,if I find whence his father William was from,it will be the icing on the cake!
With much appreciation
Kat

This link has some old photos of Black Lion Street

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__6679.aspx

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Katsy8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 13 May 16 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lizzie I have checked that one ! Still on the hunt for actual pics of the original residences will keep hunting! You guys r amazing👏👏👏

Offline Dave Annal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 22 June 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't know if anyone's still following this thread but I found it because I was looking for Walter UNDERWOOD. It turns out that he wasn't connected to the person I was researching but as it was this thread that proved to me that he wasn't my man, I thought I would share what I know about him!

Walter was born in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire and baptised there on 18 March 1798. He married Elizabeth BURCHER at St James, Clerkenwell on 10 June 1821 and they went on to have at least one child, Eliza Catherine, born and baptised in Clerkenwell in 1823 (no further trace has been found of Eliza Catherine). The next sighting we have of Walter and Elizabeth comes in 1831 when another daughter, Sophia Maria, was baptised at the Dorset Gardens Wesleyan Chapel in Brighton. The baptismal entry confirms that Elizabeth’s maiden name was BURCHER and that she was the daughter of James and Phebe BURCHER. Sophia died in 1832 but two years later, a son, Walter, was baptised at the same chapel.

Walter was described, at the time of the 1823 baptism, as a publican. In 1831, curiously, he was a paper hanger, and in 1833 a coach keeper. In the 1841 census, which finds him living in Ship Street, Brighton (just along the road from Joseph STRONG!) Walter is listed as a stable keeper. Walter’s wife, Elizabeth, and son Walter are also listed in the 1841 census but by 1851 Walter senior had disappeared. Elizabeth and Walter junior are living at Park Villa, Sloane Street, Brighton with Elizabeth’s marital ‘condition’ given as ‘married’ and her occupation as ‘proprietor of houses’. She was aged 57 and her place of birth was given as Littlehampton, Sussex.

In 1861, with Walter junior now married, Elizabeth was living on her own at an address in Park Street, Brighton. Again, she was described as a ‘proprietor of houses’, her marital condition was ‘married’ but again, there was no sign of her husband, Walter.

Thanks to this thread, I now know beyond reasonable doubt that Walter had left Elizabeth and was now living with Dorothy STRONG/PRITCHARD/BEEDHAM.

The 1841 census entry for Walter indicates that he was born in Sussex which I now know not to be the case.

Incidentally, Elizabeth died in 1862 so Walter's 1875 marriage to Dorothy didn't have anything to do with that. If Joseph really died in 1863 then they would have been free to marry then. I guess Walter and Dorothy just (eventually!) decided to do the decent thing...