Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 7002 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 21 May 16 15:42 BST (UK) »
Just my opinion for what it's worth: the only good reason I would have for not upgrading to Windows 10 is if the device is old and drivers are not available, which seems to be the problem with some old laptops in particular, or there is insufficient memory or drive space.

If you spend some time after upgrading, disabling most of the extra 'features', Windows 10 is hardly any different from 7. There is plenty of help available online for doing this and Win10 seems far more easily customisable than its predecessors. Most of the so-called features are trying to compete with Android and regain the ground Microsoft lost to Google in the mobile market.

Any modern operating system will try to harvest data from you, but you can minimise this by altering various settings. Admittedly you may find settings revert to the defaults after a major update but I've ony found that once since I upgraded last year.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Edmund f j s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 22 May 16 18:51 BST (UK) »
Glenys can only go back to 8.1 for 1 month what happens then does it automatically revert back to 10 ?.............Edmund.

No you can only revert back to an older version within a month of upgrading, not that it only lasts for a month.
Yipeee , I've got all my favourites back on windows 10 and there are quite a lot them I can tell you, my daughter is a clever girl.........
FOSS-derby.  HUNT-belper.  STANTON-horsley woodhouse. WALLIKER-marylebone london.PINTO pescopagano Italy.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 22 May 16 19:00 BST (UK) »
Just my opinion for what it's worth: the only good reason I would have for not upgrading to Windows 10 is if the device is old and drivers are not available, which seems to be the problem with some old laptops in particular, or there is insufficient memory or drive space.

If you spend some time after upgrading, disabling most of the extra 'features', Windows 10 is hardly any different from 7. There is plenty of help available online for doing this and Win10 seems far more easily customisable than its predecessors. Most of the so-called features are trying to compete with Android and regain the ground Microsoft lost to Google in the mobile market.

Any modern operating system will try to harvest data from you, but you can minimise this by altering various settings. Admittedly you may find settings revert to the defaults after a major update but I've ony found that once since I upgraded last year.

Mike.

That's ok if you are computer savvy, many of us are not.  I know we should be but there are lots of us out here who can turn the thing on and off and drive it but not much more.  Bit like a car :D  I can drive one but don't know how it works ???

And what's the point of disabling everything - I'll take to 10 when I either want or have to not because Microsoft are forcing it on me, grrrr
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline bradburyd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 23 May 16 17:38 BST (UK) »

Mike.

A good reason for not upgrading is : "If it ain't bust, don't fix it!"

Offline ringarosy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 15:45 BST (UK) »
I have to agree with mike175, Win10 is worth having. People don't like change, I understand that. I just hope all the people turning off their updates, know they could miss out on some really important ones, especially security definitions. With the various Cryptolockers now being 70% of all malware downloaded, you would not like to lose all that hard work you have done. Keeping up to date is one of the best ways of protecting yourselves.
Grimes Patterson Keeley -- Warwickshire
Hollis Cooper Solomons Hubbard Moses Merrott -- Bethnal Green, Hackney
Dunlop Grimes -- NSW

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 18:28 BST (UK) »
I have to agree with mike175, Win10 is worth having. People don't like change, I understand that. I just hope all the people turning off their updates, know they could miss out on some really important ones, especially security definitions. With the various Cryptolockers now being 70% of all malware downloaded, you would not like to lose all that hard work you have done. Keeping up to date is one of the best ways of protecting yourselves.

You can still download the important updates without Windows 10.

The bally thing is taking me over, despite un checking the update box, asking it to delay, it is still trying to download.  Roll on the freebie cut off date I say  >:(
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 20:05 BST (UK) »
Glenys can only go back to 8.1 for 1 month what happens then does it automatically revert back to 10 ?.............Edmund.

No you can only revert back to an older version within a month of upgrading, not that it only lasts for a month.
Yipeee , I've got all my favourites back on windows 10 and there are quite a lot them I can tell you, my daughter is a clever girl.........

So installing W10 is child's play!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 22:28 BST (UK) »
I have to agree with mike175 ...

I knew there must be someone  ;D

Seriously, the bits you need to turn off are just the nonsense they add in for the kids' benefit. The core operating system is possibly the best Windows yet. You really need to keep up to date to try to keep ahead of the hackers.

But I also dislike the Microsoft way of forcing the upgrade on everyone  >:(

Mike.

P.S. If you really don't want 10, there is a utility you can download called "Never 10" which takes care of things for you and prevents the upgrade.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent