Author Topic: Etterick or Edward Scott  (Read 1273 times)

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Etterick or Edward Scott
« on: Friday 13 May 16 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for a 3x great uncle Etterick SCOTT who was born 07 December 1850 in Bangalore India when his father John SCOTT was serving in the army. He was in Bedlington area in 1861 1871 and 1881 census but then goes missing- it is possible he went back to India as there are E Scott references in the Royal Boot? Fusiliers in the Punjab 1897-1898 There is a Edward Scott in the Morpeth Union in 1911 census born in Bangalore India aged 60 but cant find death records or any other mention of Etterick which i'm sure you agree is an unusual name Any information would be great

Thank you

Barbara
selby graham cowans skelly vint foster maughan

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Etterick or Edward Scott
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 16 07:48 BST (UK) »
Would that be foot rather than boot
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 16 09:20 BST (UK) »
I agree a rather unusual name
I would be tempted to buy the death cert for Edward death recorded Morpeth 1922
but there again if he died in the work house there wont be any additional information
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 16 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Radcliff

Thank you for replying I have checked again on ancestry and the record definitely says Royal Boots Fusiliers but of course it could be foot! I have attempted to attach the record but unsure of the success!! I will consider the death certificate Thanks again

Barbara

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 16 20:59 BST (UK) »
 Barbara, just to add that there is an Ettrick Valley in Scotland , a lovely place...he may have come from there,     Dolly

Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 May 16 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks I did look at the valley but his father was from North Charlton near Alnwick and his mother from Ireland and they travelled with the army to Exeter Chatham India and then settling in to Bedlington his mother died 1893 in Cambois NBL I think he may have enlisted again at this time as he disappears until 1911 when he is in Morpeth workhouse - a man of mystery I think!!

Barbara

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 May 16 21:30 BST (UK) »
he disappears until 1911 when he is in Morpeth workhouse

He isn't in the workhouse in 1911, he's in a Model Lodging House on Union Street, Morpeth, managed by a George Farquhar.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 May 16 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jomot

looked that up and thanks not a workhouse- still can't find where he was between 1883 when he was present at the death of his brother in Bedlington and 1911 Census then when he died in the lodging house 1922

Thanks again
Barbara x