Author Topic: Berkshire Parish Registers Coming Online?  (Read 14065 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Berkshire Parish Registers Coming Online?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 05 October 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
Sadly I see from the FindMyPast blog released this evening that they are, not exactly unexpectedly, only  transcripts.  So the wait for the originals to ever get digitised on one of the commercial sites continues. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 06 October 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
Unless I'm mistaken, these are just transcriptions of the CDs already available fronm Berks FHS, which most researchers (like me)  with serious Berkshire ancestry will probably already have bought.

I have checked on FindMyPast for parishes missing from the FHS Baptisms CD which really only contains baptisms from previously released parish CDs and other parishes only from about 1813. This is why I didn't bother upgrading my Baptisms CD when the updates came out a while ago.

I shall have to take a closer look but that is my immediate conclusion.

Disappointing, but - sadly - predictable.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
I was at the local LDS FHC today to continue going through a Scottish graveyard, but there was also one marriage in Shrivenham that I wanted to look up.   I thought I'd seen a little camera next to the Shrivenham parish records which meant that I could see them at a FHC.  I had, but 1871 isn't included.  It has been microfiched though, so next time I'm in Salt Lake City....

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
I thought I'd seen a little camera next to the Shrivenham parish records which meant that I could see them at a FHC.  I had, but 1871 isn't included.  It has been microfiched though, so next time I'm in Salt Lake City....

Hurworth, the later PRs have actually been digitised as they have DGS numbers but they've for some reason not been made accessible.  There have been a number of digitised microfilms like this in the catalogue for some time.  Some were made accessible I think at the end of February but still waiting for the rest to be resolved.  As there are copies of those films at several other FHCs or affiliate libraries, there can't be a access reason for them being unavailable or the microfilm copies would have had to be removed I would have thought.  May be worth a message to Familysearch support asking why they aren't available even though there are DGS numbers, but if you do please mention the fact there are copies at other FHCs as their standard reply seems to be "restricted access for contractual reasons" which in this case I don't think applies.  Somebody has messed up by the looks of it when they've uploaded the images and not made them accessible.  Hopefully the rest will be fixed sometime but when remains to be seen.  I know some of the FHCs have been enquiring about this but not getting an answer.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 17 May 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks smudwhisk.

The only reason I know the date and place of their marriage is because it comes up on England Marriages GS Film number   1041798.  Is it reasonable to assume they married in the church at Shrivenham?

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 17 May 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
1041798 is definitely showing in the Catalogue as Shrivenham.  Who and when is the marriage?  I could check the OFHS transcripts for you to confirm.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 17 May 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks smudwhisk for your kind offer.

The happy couple were Thomas Thrupp and Mary Wiltshire who married on 20 August 1871. 

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 17 May 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
In the Shrivenham transcripts from the OxfordshireFHS is this marriage;

20-8-1871 Thomas Thrupp (x), 30, (widr), Labr, s/o John, Labourer to
Mary Wiltshire, (x), 26, sp, Servant, Shrivenham d/o Thomas, Labourer
wits; William Mattingley (x), Harriet Wilson.
(x) = signed with their mark

I couldn't find any  bapt. or burials entries  for either.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 17 May 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much ribbo.  That's very helpful. 

His details (son of John, occ labourer) match the man I'm looking for who lived in Great Coxall, and now with a first name for Mary's father I might be able to find her before her marriage too. 

If I have the correct couple I believe they emigrated soon after the marriage.