Author Topic: Berkshire Parish Registers Coming Online?  (Read 14182 times)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Berkshire Parish Registers Coming Online?
« on: Friday 13 May 16 10:43 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are any plans to digitalise the parish registers of Berkshire?

Last year I found I had a vein of Berkshire ancestry via India, but as the records are not online, the visit to London to find the Berkshire link has not lead to anything new.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Berkshire Parish Registers Coming Online?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 May 16 11:18 BST (UK) »
I believe "findmypast" was successful in getting that contract but have been very slow in delivering

Kim

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 May 16 11:36 BST (UK) »
I believe "findmypast" was successful in getting that contract but have been very slow in delivering

Kim

Interesting as I'd been told previously that it was unlikely this would happen because the current Archivist, and his predecessor, had no intention of doing this and were only happy to work with the Family History Society in allowing transcriptions to be sold. :-\  That came from a reliable source but perhaps as the FHS are so slow at doing this (admittedly from lack of volunteers) the Archivist has had a change of heart on the subject.  I hope it does happen as have three separate lines in the county and only really made any headway on the north Berkshire line of which OFHS have transcribed the registers.

The transcripts on FindMyPast are from Berskhire FHS.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 May 16 18:56 BST (UK) »
The majority of Berks PRs are online - either at findmypast or familysearch. Of course there will be gaps, some of them notable, but there is a lot out there already.

Oxfordshire were certainly ahead of the game in transcribing, mainly because the Diocese wouldn't allow the Mormons to film their registers (I've never worked out how they managed to film the Berks registers since its the same diocese) and hence transcription was the only way to get the information out there.

Berks FHS have transcribed all of the burial registers in the BRO and some others - so coverage is close to 100% on the CD they sell (not sure how much of that is on FindMyPast).

They are working through marriages - covverage is looking to be pretty comprehensive on the latest CD.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 May 16 23:06 BST (UK) »
The majority of Berks PRs are online - either at findmypast or familysearch. Of course there will be gaps, some of them notable, but there is a lot out there already.

Only as transcripts and as David was asking about digitisation, I would imagine he was talking about the originals.  Its always preferable to see the originals anyway.  There are far too many chances for errors in transcripts which if you can't check against the originals could mean following a completely incorrect line
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 May 16 10:45 BST (UK) »
Only as transcripts and as David was asking about digitisation, I would imagine he was talking about the originals.  Its always preferable to see the originals anyway.  There are far too many chances for errors in transcripts which if you can't check against the originals could mean following a completely incorrect line

Yes, but David also referred to the Oxfordshire FHS transcripts.

Last I heard (a few years back) the Diocese is still against its PRs being filmed and published (they are happy for ROs to fim them for internal use), and this now includes Berkshire.  The three Archivists (Berks, Oxon and Bucks) have made efforts in the past to resolve this issue but, evidently it hasn't happened yet.

One reason why the BRO work with the FHS is that they trust the FHS to do as good a job as practical on the transcriptions - they recognise the problems with poor transcription.  They will work with anyone who can demonstrate that their transcription process is rigorous and accurate (eg. The Eureka Partnership who publish several transcripts of non-conformist and other registers from Berks).
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 May 16 11:22 BST (UK) »

Oxfordshire were certainly ahead of the game in transcribing, mainly because the Diocese wouldn't allow the Mormons to film their registers (I've never worked out how they managed to film the Berks registers since its the same diocese) and hence transcription was the only way to get the information out there.

Berks FHS have transcribed all of the burial registers in the BRO and some others - so coverage is close to 100% on the CD they sell (not sure how much of that is on FindMyPast).

They are working through marriages - covverage is looking to be pretty comprehensive on the latest CD.

I've only found a very few Berkshire burials for my family on FindMyPast and not well transcribed - my grandfather is transcribed as Helen - his name was Heber!

Looking at coverage of the new CD for Berkshire baptisms, it seems to have less than Familysearch for some parishes. Its coverage of West Challow St lawrence is only from 1607 - 1638 ( 45 baptisms). Familysearch has baptisms up to 1812. How would FS get this information, which it seems the FHS doesn't have? 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 May 16 13:02 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are any plans to digitalise the parish registers of Berkshire?

I'd like to know too, so I've emailed the Reading Records Office and asked.  Will let you know what response I get.

I know that OFHS have done some transcriptions, of parts of Berkshire which are now in Oxon, but there's nothing quite like being able to view the image of the actual register, is there?

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)