Author Topic: Sarah Newton previously Long  (Read 685 times)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Newton previously Long
« on: Friday 13 May 16 19:21 BST (UK) »
Sarah was born in 1856 in Kingston Deverell and married Robert Newton. In 1916 he married George Foot, I believe at Up Cerne. They were both elderely and both died in 1923. I understand that George and Sarah lived in their own homes after their marriage. I wonder if anyone can help me find out her address and perhaps who  she was living with prior to the marriage. I believe she was living in Dorset in 1911.Please also confirm where he marriage took place and if possible who were the witnesses.

Very many thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Newton previously Long
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 May 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
You would need to buy a copy of the marriage cert to see what address is shown on it for Sarah.  To lookup a marriage you have to know which church it took place in

1911 lookups are not allowed - please see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355486.0.html

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 May 16 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
They did  marry at Up Cerne 7.12.1916
witnesses Ernest Roberts and Gladys Foot
There addresses are both Upcerne Wood.

The 1920 electoral register gives George Foot at the cottage Up Cerne which is not a lot of help.
There's a Sarah Newton at Hermitage ,Newton Magna in 1914 and 1915 but not after the War which I think is her.Again no street address.
While a Sarah Foot appears at 54 Back Lane ,Long Lane  Tucking Mill Up Cerne from 1918-1921

Familysearch index for 1911 gives her living at Buckland Newton.If you fiddle with the index you find a Thomas Newton age 19 also there.

Best I can do I'm afraid

Ciderdrinker

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 May 16 18:53 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks. You have been most helpful. Sarah was previously married to a Robert Newton who lived in the Buckland Newton, Plush, Mappowder area. He died in Cerne Workhouse and Sarah may have moved to be close to him.I understand that after her marriage to George Foot they continued to live in their own properties.Perhaps she thought if George died, she would be thrown out of the woodman/gamekeepers house and end up in the workhouse. Back Lane, Tucking Mill appears to be in the adjoining villageof Cerne Abbas not far from Up Cerne.Gladys is a daughter from George's previous marriage (his middle marriage).

Very many thanks again,  Mark